1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kage vs. Protech

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TLCMN, Oct 21, 2014.

1. TLCMN

TLCMN Junior Member
    from MN

What is my best overall system for my money? I am looking at a protech pull back snow pusher and a kage. I will mainly use it for two schools, apartment complexes, a few commercial properties and about 35 driveways. I also already a snow bucket so I can use that for stacking and relocation. I run a bobcat s650 two speed and all my accounts are within 1.5 miles so I will not havr to trailer it at all. The kage system is about $2000 more then the protech but I don't know if it's worth the money. I also have two boss v plows that will be working closely with the bobcat so I'm not sure if I need a kage. Thanks

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

between those two the kage. always think of the future the possibilities that you may run into

3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Kage, HLA SnoWing, or Metal Pless. The latter 2 would be my choice, but pricier.

4. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

The Kage is worth the extra money. You won't regret it.

5. TLCMN

TLCMN Junior Member
    from MN

The HLA snow wing look even better then a kage. Do you have any expirence with one?

6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, we run an 8-13 on a New Holland L175. I tried a Kage that another guy has in our area, and after running both, I feel for what we do with that machine, the HLA is worth the price tag that it comes with. It was around 10K if I remember right.

If it were just in regular parking lots, I wouldn't spend the extra cash, I'd buy either a Boss if I could run a 12 foot box, or an Arctic Sectional or Metal Pless box with Liveedge. Salt savings is incredible for seasonal accounts.

From what I've seen, Metal Pless is every bit as good and Paul is all over this site and uses them in his own company. When we need another, it'll be a Metal Pless.

7. TLCMN

TLCMN Junior Member
    from MN

Yeah my budget is 6,000 so I guess no snow wing for me! They look like a awesome tool though!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  8. Neige

Neige Sponsor

When you are comparing the Protech to the Kage, is the Protech a rubber cutting edge or their steel IST model. You can never compare price between steel trip edge pusher to one that is rubber. It is not a fair comparison.
    Now lets assume you are comparing steel to steel. The Protech is a box pusher period. The Kage can be a box pusher or a reversable staight blade that you can windrow with. The pullback kit on the Protect will contain more snow when you back drag then the Kage will. Now if you wanted the best of both worlds the HLA snow wing, or the Metal Pless PlowMaxx is what you should get. You can push as a containment plow, windrow, backdrag without having to change parts to do so. Its the ultimate transformer plow. Before you make your final decision you should also check out the price of a 8-13 PlowMaxx by Metal Pless.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  9. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I wish they made a HLA type blade for a 2500 truck, that would be awesome.

10. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

kage all they way they are not bad in driveways and are great for loading docks and you can even do large sidewalks easily. My boss owns at least 10 of them and swears by them here in RI...

11. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Don't forget Protech does offer one that is like a Kage but the sides doesn't come off like the Kage
    The Protech plow is the poor mans HLA snow wing LOLxysport
    I bought one works well I went this route wasn't sure if I would use the skid much but after running it I wish I went with a HLA snow wing
    My wings adjust manually

12. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Do you mean something like this. http://youtu.be/_YdkD1wFkVw

13. TLCMN

TLCMN Junior Member
    from MN

14. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yes, that is nice but it's made for a 3500 on up. Mines a 2500. 1500 pounds is to much for my front end. It looks like it trails alittle between the blade and the side extension.

15. vtscaper

vtscaper Junior Member
    from VT

We bought our first Kage last year and just picked up our second. They are AWESOME for tricky sites.

16. etwman

etwman Junior Member

There are (5) Kage's at my shop right now. Hands down they are the best snow removal piece of equipment on the market and worth every penny. Our oldest one is 5 years old and we haven't put a dime into it. We just took delivery of two more new ones and another one is due to arrive next week.

We run them on CAT 262's and CAT 287D's. All 10'

17. cpmnate

cpmnate Junior Member

Hey just a thought if you are looking to save a few dollars I have a 9' snow wolf with the pusher attachment that's only been used 2 seasons we also converted it to the lesser expensive Kage one piece cutting edge instead of the 3 piece it came with send me a message if you're interested

18. Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost Senior Member
    from Montana

We used 2 of the 4 new kAGE plows we got this yr ,, one is a 10 foot on a Newholland skid , and a 14 on a 924k cat loader ,, we really like them its so nice to drop and go ,,, roads , parking lots , dead end streets , it was all super easy with this KAGE , We have been plowing for many yrs now and have used allot of diff plows and pushers , after using the new KAGE , Well I bought the outer 2 KAGE plows another,,, 14 foot for my Case 521 , with a JRB quick change and a 10 toof for my case skid , traded in 2 artic pushers I dont think I will be missing them

19. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I'm surprised you got rid of your Arctic sectionals for the Kage trip edge. Even though the Kage has awesome versatility do you personally find it outscrapes the Arctic. Evidently you must right?

20. Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost Senior Member
    from Montana

:salute:I agree you are right gc3 , scraping artic is nice ,, and does a great job ,, but cutting edges on the artic wear very very fast as you know ,,, and the blocks tend to brake quite often , so from the stand point of uptime , I still think the kage will be the one I will be gong with