1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kage skid

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by mpgall26, Nov 12, 2011.

1. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Never used a skid and want to get one for next season. That gives me plenty of time to do some homework. I will move it from sites and really don't think more than 8' is worth the effort/risk trailering all the time.
    What do I look for in a skid for both performance and Kage compatibility. The budget isn't huge so the cadillac of skids won't work.
  2. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

bobcat S185 or S205 with a cab/heat and 2 speed.... Great snow machines.
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree. If you are looking for something that wouldnt be hard to trailer around, a S205 2 speed Bobcat w/dedicated snow tires (ex: wolf paws) & and an 8ft kage would be a bad a s s rig.
  4. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

wolf paws and a kage kinda of a funny set up but a great set up, wolf paws are made by snow wolf who is a kage knock off, as for a machine look for a used JD 325 with two speed
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Trailering a skid from site to site during a snow storm is a chore, but doable. With that said, keeping the weight of the skid down is a major help for fuel economy & safety. From my experiences of pulling a skid around during a storm, staying under 7000lbs (skid weight) is ideal when pulling with a 1 ton or 3/4 pickup..........A JD 325(large frame size) is almost 8400lbs, while a S205(med frame size) is about 6700lbs.

If the OP intends to pull a skid around during snow storms, I highly reccomend getting a "medium frame size" machine.
  6. Maxamillion67

Maxamillion67 Member

I have a caterepiller 242 machine. It has pilot control, which I really like. You need to try out different machine, with hand and foot controls ans see which ones you like. Bobcat 185 and 205 would be great machine for snow removal. They would be comparable to the cat 236 and 242. You need to see which you like better and go from there. Good luck with what ever you buy.
  7. Lazy John

Lazy John Junior Member

Pretty much everyone has said it clearly. You definitely need a bob 185 or205 with additional attachments like snow tires and the works to get snow up and out of the way.