1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kage Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lizard, Nov 10, 2011.

1. lizard

lizard Junior Member

So i just ordered a new 8ft Kage plow today and new snow tires to go on my Bobcat S-185 alot of money going out at one time so im hopeing that all of the hype on the Kage plows was worth the investment, if anyone has any feedback pros or con please let me know.
    I will keep everyone posted on how these new plows work.
  2. wintersteelhead

wintersteelhead Junior Member
    from oregon

Just finished watching the demo....it looks like a pretty efficient system for the right piece of ground. Looking forward to hearing how it works.
  3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

what kind of snow tires did you get, I got a s185 that i want snow tires for. Are you tires 10-16.5?
  4. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

i hope you love it, i plow with one and repair them, personally for snow tires wolfpaws are amazing and durable tires
  5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

Let me know what you think. We were looking into one but i picked up a boss 9', I had a set of wings left over that I will put on the unit. We really didnt need the carrying capacity of the box aspect so the cost savings was what sold the boss plow.

Id like to get a 10 or 12' unit for our tractor or asv depending on how the accounts go next year.
  6. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am just waiting for the big boss to come in and give the go ahead with our new Kage, was going to go with the 8'er but it sold. the dealer is throwing us a 9'er for the same price. :) :)

This will be our first Kage, we have been using blizzards but too many moving parts to go wrong at 2am, this seemed like the best alternative.

Snow Tires? We run the same tires year round and never had a problem pushing snow. Are you going to use it in the summer and then get another set then too?
  7. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Your gonna love it..a tip i have that applies to my Boss plows and may not to your Kage plow is make sure the rubber straping that is at each end of the Kage isn't too long and allows it to get under the cutting edge. The first one i bought ended up riding on the rubber straping because it was too long and i couldn't get it to scrap down to pavemment. I didn't have anything with me during the storm to cut through that thick rubber but they all work great now,
  8. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

I like the idea of the Kage but I don't know if I can justify the extra money over an avalanche. I know the plow would come in handy at times but is it really worth the premium price? I would like to know what kinda properties you are planning on doing with it and why you decided on a Kage over just either a plow or pusher.
  9. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Premium price? Kage's are twice the plow as an Avalance, they are worth every penny and will end up saving you money due to the time savings and versatility that the Kage's offer.

In fact, I am getting rid of my Arctics and switching over to just Kage and Snow wolf units.

10. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

What does an 8' set you back?
  11. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

12. plowfever

plowfever Senior Member

Peterbilt after you post last night I woke up first thing this morning and went to Kage's website. I believe I will buy one now as after watching the videos I am convinced they are worth the extra $2000. I believe I am going to go with a 9' model. My loader will handle a 10' but I move between sites so the 9' would be a little better for that reason I think. I am a one man show and do a big factory that is zero tolerance and a apartment complex, nursing home and my church which has a huge wide open lot.
  13. kagenewengland

kagenewengland Senior Member

If you have the right application, the Kage is the only way to go. I would say the two things to take into consideration are adjusting slack on hydraulic lines (just enough to allow box exchange, but not too much where a line could get caught on the front tire) and operator error in reference to pusher angle (the box is a independent entity from the blade that floats on ploy shoes only to contain spillage, if the operator angles forward and tries to apply down pressure the front corners of the shoes will wear in no time). I would also keep an extra bolt or pin around in case one breaks at the piston.
  14. kagenewengland

kagenewengland Senior Member

We are the dealer for your area; we will deliver the 8' system to Boston for $5600.00
  15. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

Sounds like a plan. Have to do my homework on the right skid for it and I'm a virgin in the realm of skids. Absolutely looks like the best option vs. plow and box on the same tight complex. What are the key factors of a skid as far as compatibilty etc. for an 8'. I don't want bigger since it will be moved from site to site.
  16. G.Landscape

from Ontario

Weight of the skid steer is key, they have a chart on their website that give a rough guideline for the max side plow for skid steer. Also two speed wheeled skid steer is your best option, tracks can work but not quite as efficient.
  17. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

JD 325 or up make sure its a two speed and has a radio, and dont listen to other people snow tires are a must
  18. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

We have a snow wolf fast tach, which is comparable to the kage systems. My only advice is don't windrow/back drag to much snow for your pusher to handle.
  19. welder1122

welder1122 Senior Member

snow wolf has one major draw back there blades dont articulate like kage, kage plows have special push plate that lets teh blade rotate to stay flat on the pavement

great idea and affective, and you are right i dont windrow with the box on, i find if u windrow a bunch of the snow than push it all back with the push box its more effective than running teh box all the time.
  20. G.Landscape

from Ontario

Yes windrowing is still some of the fastest plowing method avalible. You need to make sure you do get the right size plow, too small and you aren't doing all of can, but go to large and you won't be able to push a full box, this also ties into what people are saying about snow tires, I guess we never use them, but we hanbdle a lot of lots that require us to get into tight areas so we aren't pushing ther largest plows our machines could do if they had snow tires, but they are as big as they can be for the lot.