1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kage or snowwolf skid plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mnguy, Nov 11, 2013.

1. mnguy

mnguy Member

I have a kage plow now and like it but snow wolfs are cheaper and we have a local dealer. I noticed the snow wolf don't come with a cross over relief valve. My question is what does that valve do and without one can problems arise for not having when while using it. Thanks in advance
  2. CCL Landscaping

CCL Landscaping Senior Member

I just bought a kage. But had the option to buy a snowwolf. the kage plow looked heavier. there was a thread on here about crossover relief. some said it was nessisary when hitting things saying it could damage the machine others claimed machines have ones built in so it wasn't needed
  3. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

My 10' Snow Wolf came with a crossover relief valve. I don't know the why or why nots of the valve but maybe the smaller plows don't need it( the 10' was the only one that came with it. )? Snow Wolfs are built very sturdy IMO.
  4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

The snow wolf is a very tough plow, but the kage is built just a little stronger.. the reason I go with snow wolf is it is a little simpler design. Less stuff to wear out.. I have had two both without relief valves and no issues. Both great plows.
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I ran a kage for a few seasons and loved it, no problems at all.
  6. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

My vote kage
  7. potskie

potskie Senior Member
    from Ontario

The crossover relief valve allows pressure to dump out of a cylinder and into the other in the event you hit something. So instead of staying rigid if you hit something on the right side it pivots to the right.
  8. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

I have a 10ft Kage on a 95hp Kubota. 3yrs. Tough plow. Love it.
  9. mnguy

mnguy Member

Decided to go with another Kage.

10. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

We have a snow wolf and 3 Kage plows. The Kage has held up better overall. The Kage cutting edges are also $179 vs. $350 for the snow wolf. Something to think about.
  11. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

My vote is Kage. I love mine. I looked into both prior to buying mine a few years ago. It's held up very well.

Where did you get the cutting edge for 179?
  12. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

Directly from Kage.
  13. straightlinelan

straightlinelan Member

AWFUL PLOW. PIECE OF JUNK. I bought snowwolf plow for my skidsteer 3 years ago. I got the Fasttack system with it because I thought this would be ideal. After the 1st year (125 hrs) we had multiple issues with broken welds. Our dealer said it was operator abuse. I contacted snowwolf and they said they had some weld issues and had the dealer REPAIR the welds. They did a so-so job.

Now I have entered my 3rd season with the snow wolf. Because we require curbs being nice and clear, our operator had worn out the back bolt of the trip edge. The repairs on this plow are outrageous.

New trip edge (1 side only), new bolts, new cutting edges (x2), new fasttack poly runners (x2). Total cost for repairs (no labor) is going to be $2,100.00 plus. I bought a plow that lasted 3 years. WOW what a rip off.