1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kage or snow blower

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vtscaper, Nov 9, 2013.

1. vtscaper

vtscaper Junior Member
    from VT

We are considering buying an 8' Kage for our Cat 287. I got to play around with one (not in the snow) at the GIE show in Kentucky this year and was impressed. This will be the first winter we have used either of our skids for plowing other than removal.

We have an new HOA (36 houses) with small 9' wide drives that can all be pulled out to the roads, the roads have ample storage at each end.

The account could easily be done with two trucks, but I am looking to use one of our skids rather than buying another truck/plow etc. Our other trucks are already maxed out with routes..

Originally I was thinking a blower on the skid for drives and a truck for the roads. But the kage given the ability to use the blade to back drage and then also blade or push the roads seems great. I figure one guy in skid will pull out the drives and one in truck with v plow clearing rds.

What do you guys think? take a look, how would you handle this knowing you have two skids that sit all winter and five trucks that are busy

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 10.20.44 PM.png
  2. creekwoodlawn

creekwoodlawn Junior Member
    from Kansas

We have 2 Kage systems and have loved them from the start. It has freed up our trucks to do the larger commercial properties. It has made our gas stations, apartment complexes and small HOA's much easier to do. I would highly recommend buying one. Another thing to consider is Wolfpaw tire system for the skidsteer if it doesn't have tracks.
    The main reason I think this would work better than trucks is the ability to turn and push into greenspace if you have a heavy snow. With a truck you would have to push all the way to the end. Backdrag with the plow, put the box on and push the street. May want to consider pretreating the road with salt prior to a storm to make sure you have ample traction with your machine too.
  3. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

For this small of a complex I would go with the Kage system. We don't have any but I have seen them. Probably much cheaper than a snowblower. We just picked up a CAT 121 snowblower for our new CAT 262D skid. We have two other blowers for skid loaders as well. We do complexes like you posted. But each of these machines are responsible for 125-200 driveways. Blowers range from $6,000 - $8,000 depending on quality and hydraulic pressure rates. If the Kage system is much lower than that financially it would make sense to go in that direction.

2013-11-08 12.27.44.jpg
  4. dirtyscag

dirtyscag Senior Member

I would deff go with the KAGE system! We have two of them and love it the property they are on is kinda the same layout but larger scale. You may even find you wont need to send a truck in at all for plowing. With running a skid the pre salting will make huge differance.
  5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

You shouldnt need a truck. A slid with a cage system and a good operator can handle it all no problem.. put those machines to work.. O would consider a set of snow tires for sure.
  6. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

Why not consider an HLA Snow wing?
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Kage system for sure. A blower would take way too long. Ive only seen a blower used on a skid steer 1 time but I plowed circles around him with my skid and just a bucket,lol.
  8. vtscaper

vtscaper Junior Member
    from VT

8' Kage runs about $6300, so really in the same range as a quality blower..
  9. vtscaper

vtscaper Junior Member
    from VT

Do you have one? A great looking unit, but seems like an awful lot of moving parts...
  10. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

a buddy of mine has an HLA on a 272 cat in Morrisville--he s on here somewhere...Awesome setup, but more money than both other options
  11. sthoms3355

sthoms3355 Member
    from Detroit

If you are going to use the machine to clear the streets, yes a blade will run circles around a blower. We have trucks plow the streets of our complex (trucks move around at 15-25MPH) compared to 6-12MPH of a skid. So the skids are only responsible for driveways. The blowers handle the snow once. Instead of pulling the snow out and then trying to find place to push to. Many of our complexes that we use our skids in are have public sidewalks that runs along the street is only five feet away from curb. Leaving very little area to pile snow. This is why a blower option works better for us. Even with a 10 foot distance between the sidewalk and street, in a heavy snow year that area would fill up extremely fast in pushing all driveway snow onto. But like I said previously, looking at the size of the complex, the fact the public sidewalk only runs on one side of the street, and you want to use skid to clear the streets as well the Kage system would be a very nice option.