1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kage on a Toolcat?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Buddhaman, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I am thinking of putting an 8' Kage plow on my Toolcat this year. Mostly used on smaller parking lots and curb clean up. Has anyone run a Kage setup on their Toolcat? The Kage salesman I talked to said it cannot handle an 8'. I don't think there would be a problem. Just looking for any real experience with this combo if any.

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I ran a friends last year because he broke his foot, it handled the kage just fine. The only thing to be careful of is hooking and unhooking as the kage weighs too much to tip it back.

3. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Truck snow tires and fill the dump box full of gravel before winter and it will serve you very well.

4. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Why did he think it wouldn't handle it?

5. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I already have truck tires on it and plan on putting about 1750 pounds of bagged rock salt in the back for extra weight and a salt spreader in the hitch. He thought it was too heavy and wouldn't be able to lift it. Figured it would stick out too far. Wanting to make sure it will lift it well enough to stack snow.

6. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Then he needs to learn his machines.

Rated at 1500#'s.

Able to lift over 2000#'s with little to no problem.

Only slight issue is not enough ballast\counterweight (which you have covered) or the ability to roll it back which is the real limitation on the TC's lifting ability.

7. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

SNOWLORD or dfd9, do either of you have a Toolcat?

8. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Yeas a D series.

9. dr.lawn21

dr.lawn21 Senior Member

I just ordered one for my TC on Wednesday. The salesman said that it would do just fine with an 8. :drinkup:

10. dr.lawn21

dr.lawn21 Senior Member

I need to put my ballast in the back. I think it will do great.

tc2.jpg

11. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

dr.lawn21, have you had a chance to use your toolcat with the Kage yet? If so how did it work out? Possibly going to pull the trigger on one in the next few days.

12. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

We are using a 10 foot arctic sectional on a tool cat and the thing is awesome! No issues at all pushing, and it will move a mountain of snow!

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmm, you don't say, John. You get a little the other day?

14. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Snowlord has had one running the past few winters.......

15. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

About 4-5 inches all together, just depends on how much got blown all over the place! 40MPH winds were pretty wicked!

16. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

We tried to run a 6ft, backdrag pro-tech on a toolcat, it wouldn't roll far enough forward to actually back drag.

17. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I purchased a 8' and received a couple days ago. We had a storm that dropped about 4". It worked good but starts to run out of power on longer runs. I just took smaller bites. It does have a very hard time picking it up when rolling the box attachment on. It has to be as low as possible and driving backwards to help the boom curl back up. It does make me nervous to have that much weight hang off the front that far. This thing is built tough as hell. Just wish it had a shorter pivot beam.

18. S-205

S-205 Senior Member
    from Ontario

Yeah that seems to be the biggest downfall of the system, that fact that box sits out way too far in front of the machine, which may be more of a problem on a TC than a skid. The pivot beam could be shorter though.

19. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I contacted Kage and they swapped the pivot frame out with a shorter one. Big difference, much better. Still a lot of weight far out front but better. This thing is definitely built heavy duty.

20. S-205

S-205 Senior Member
    from Ontario

Did they do that free of charge? Doesn't that require new angle cylinders and everything?