1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kage innovation or 1 ton truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trainhorntruck, Feb 6, 2012.

1. trainhorntruck

trainhorntruck Member
    from CT

anyone every use one ? how do they work ? and i was wondering what would be more worth it to buy a skid steer with an 8ft kage or an f350 with a straight blade my max is 11000 and i already have a f150 with 1.5 yd sander and 7.6 western i was thinking the skid steer because I can load sand, salt, snow removal and pile snow but the f350 or 1 ton be nice because then i could move it around if i got to med size accounts. And next yr i have a big account in the works around 86,000 sq ft what do you guys think ?

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I would buy a truck, but not an F-350. I would go with at least an F-450.

But that also depends on if you have use for the truck in the summer of work with a skid steer.

Right now I have my 3500HD, F-150 for sidewalk/residentials and my mini skid for the big snows where I need to go in afterwards and do sidewalk cleanouts and other snow moving on residentials and small commercials.

I do also want to say that I have three subs available. One has a backhoe and Kubota tractor with pusher boxes to help move the bigger snows. Another has a JD 544E loader that he can do some serious snow moving if I need it.

I might have paid 4k in sub services over the last 3 years. That's no where near what it would have cost me to get a 20k skid steer, and 6k pusher box. So it's something to really weigh out.

3. trainhorntruck

trainhorntruck Member
    from CT

anyone else

4. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

If you only have 11k to spend go with the truck, your not going to get a good skid and Kage for that much unless you rent or seasonal lease and even then you'll be cutting it close.

If it is on one site the Kage and Skid will be better, but if traveling is involved go the truck route.

good luck

5. trainhorntruck

trainhorntruck Member
    from CT

thanks and i just got a deal going for a 100,000 sq ft lot lol I know the guy who owns the store what do you think about a skid steer now ? and ya I know thats why im asking

6. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Depends, do you have long runs? do you islands and a lot of curbing to contend with? Lots of traffic? Personally for something like that I would want a small- medium size loader which you can rent or lease for the winter if you can't afford to buy. A property of that size should be making enough money to afford that.

7. trainhorntruck

trainhorntruck Member
    from CT

its got a alot of little islands and traffic in the snow isn't bad and its gota be plowed before 7

8. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I'd buy the truck and put the salter in that. If you end up getting the big accounts I would look into a seasonal lease on a backhoe. If you have a lot of islands to work around then a backhoe is the way to go. They are more nimble than a loader and they push just fine with a 12-14 foot box. Plowing around a bunch of obstacles in a loader is a real pain especially if you aren't that experienced with one. Not only that but at the end of the day its a hell of a lot easier to get rid of a truck than it is a piece of heavy equipment.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

1.5 ton truck, 9ft. plow with wings. Should be able to have it plowed in 1.5 hours up to 5".

10. trainhorntruck

trainhorntruck Member
    from CT

ok sweet you got me thinking