1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Kage guys need opinions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by exmark, Mar 24, 2016.

1. exmark

exmark Senior Member

Im sure this topic has been brought up many times. I am planning to purchase two kage systems for next winter. I want to hear everyones feedback. I have heard nothing but positive about the systems. However I am curious to know if I can truly cut down machines and time. I have a dozen or so seasonal town home contracts were we stick one to two machines with either buckets or blades. Machines are either paired with a backhoe with pusher or pushers for the skids when they're done with drives. Im curious as to how much time has been cut down. Several of the associations are between 60 and 120 units. Thanks!
  2. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

It will cut your time down i guarantee but I do not have a accurate number to give you. It does a better job where we use them and saves us time. Every property is different as we all know so time savings vary.
  3. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

I would spend the extra money and get wing blades! Like HLA etc.. way more versatile and robust IMO
  4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That's because it's not your money...:rolleyes:
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I can buy a 9-13 Snowing for less then $6500 in your money. How much is a Kage?
  6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I could care less, these BS responses about HLA Snowings every time someone mentions Kage or Snow Wolf is beyond played out.

OP, get the Kage, you'll be happy with it and have a versatile piece of equipment that will save you some time or eliminate a machine you need on that site.
  7. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well, it is my money that pays for the 25% jump in price from a Kage to a wing plow.

We've had and still have a Kage, and wing plows. Hands down, there has NEVER been a situation where the wing plow isn't equally as productive, and lots that they are more productive. More than enough to justify the cost difference.

OP if you're stuck on a Kage, by all means buy one. But our wing plow machines outwork the Kage plow machines by at least 30% every storm. For every 3 wing plows we have, it's like having a free machine compared to a Kage. Suddenly that 25% jump in cost doesn't seem too bad when you consider after you buy 3, not only does it replace 4 Kage plows, but also replaces a 45K skid steer, additional fuel, insurance, repairs, and just as important, labor.
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm just trying to save a guy some money in the long run so he doesn't have to buy something twice. You get all bent out of shape because I'm stating the obvious.
  9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

10. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I don't like the cage before you have to run back and forth picking up your box. If you need a box by a box.

I would love to get a wing plow but we don't get enough snow to justify it
  11. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

last year i bought a boss 10 foot pusher. worked fine for me. big open areas and some tight ones, no problem. the slip hitch is a little funny on it but it was great and built well. id be worried about the "kage" part of the system bending and breaking. and i was drinking the kage koolaid hard core last year, and still bought a boss after looking at the kage.
  12. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I owned a kage... They may do a great job with hoa's. In my experience with one, it didn't scrape all that well unless the pavement was perfect flat. It was very hard on the machine's pins. If you have to run a machine at the job I would keep searching. How about a one ton with a back blade.
  13. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

One thing kage is great at is marketing!!!
  14. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

9' boss skid steer plow with wings. awesome...... we run two of them on our older bobcats.
  15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have one on a Boss blade, not really sure how mulch use it got this winter or if they just used the blade.