1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

K1500 w/Older Fisher

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Vingino, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Vingino

Vingino Junior Member

Hello to All:

I am brand new to your site so I hope this is appropriate for this forum. I'm going on a ride along tonight in the truck I would like to buy. 1997 GMC K1500 extended cab with the long bed. Truck is mint inside and out, with a rot free frame. 127,000 miles on it.Comes with Fisher 7.5 plow with engine driven pump. I've read about frame gusseting, and installing Timbrens to help the truck, but do I want this style plow? Am brand new to plowing, will be plowing small to medium length driveways and subbing for small lots once I know what I'm doing.Two tips I have read are that you should not have to rev the motor to help lift the plow, and once the plow is lifted, it should stay there and not drop at all. Any other issues to look out for? Asking price is $5,000. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

I have a 97 Chevy Silverado with a 7.5 HD fisher, however its electric. I did the frame gussets on mine (to be safe) as well and the Timbrens. Years ago I had the hydraulic pump style set up and swore I would never go electric. Well all these years later I will say now I would not want a Hydraulic set up ever again. My truck has 52k on the OD and I am the original owner. I put it into service a few years back and love it (they plow great)! Anyway the question I have for you is how long has it been a plow truck all its life, if so check the frame really good! That kind of money seems like alot with those miles to me and that older style setup.

3. Vingino

Vingino Junior Member

Thanks for the reply sixty4. The plow was only installed last year, used ten hours because we didn't have a real Winter.

4. Vingino

Vingino Junior Member

If you don't mind the question, what are your dislikes with the hydraulic?

5. sixty4

sixty4 Member
    from CT

I dont like leaving the whole assembly on year round if an older set up. A new pump or valve body is not cheap when they go.Tuff to find in a pinch. Electric is just clean and simple in my opinion.

6. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Most people on this site disapprove of a 1500 for plowing. You might want to do some searching and read up on that.

7. JOHNCTC1

JOHNCTC1 Junior Member

If you do buy the k1500 just make sure you don't push too heavy, cut it in half if you have to. I have a 95 k1500 with an older boss rt1 v which weighs a lot....

8. Vingino

Vingino Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I have read a ton on this site about half tons and their limitations. I should just wait until this season ends and see what else goes up for sale. I had been leaning towards a SnowDogg MD75 for my own '88. I hope you all made out ok during the night.