1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

k1500 plowing equipment

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mark13, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I have a 98 chevy k1500, 6200gvwr (i believe), heavy duty suspention, non locking rear end with the 5.7 motor. Unsure if the truck has the factory plowing prep option. What do i need to properly set the truck up for plowing? It has a 105 amp alternator and a spot for a 2nd battery. What type of blade do you recommend? Steel or Poly? ! would be plowing 1 driveway that is about 120ft long that is 2 cars wide with a 2 1/2 car turn around, another driveway that U shaped, 2cars wide with a very large parking area in the center, total lenght if straightend is about 600ft. Both driveways are fairly flat and open. The truck and plow might be used for some additional driveways and possibly commercial subbing of parking lots at apt. complexes. Any info would be much appreciated. Im in northern il so the snow amount varies- (first storm of the season was about 14 inches)
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Click the manufacture links at the top and run the vehicle application and it will tell you what plow to put on your truck.
  3. chevyplowman

chevyplowman Junior Member

In my opinion, I think the standard steel plow would do just fine. I do factory lots(some gravel and some blacktop) and a couple of apartment complexes. I also have misc. driveways. I have a 7'6 meyers steel plow I use on full size blazer and have no complaints at all. You will have pros and cons on each. I was told by the meyers dealer that the poly blade setup actually weighed more than a steel one. If you take care of the steel it will last as long as you need it. As for the truck requirements, if it's a new blade follow their recommendations. If it's used, it's best to try and find one off of a similar truck. Again, just my opinion. Good luck and happy plowing.:waving:
  4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would definetly get a bigger amp alt, and a steel plow, poly's usually weigh more. Make sure you have a good tranny cooler installed and decent tires.
  5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I plan to add timbrens if I get a plow, is there anything else to help the front end besides cranking the tbars up? Is there a certain brand of tranny cooler that you guys would recommend? I have found a used boss 7'6" standard duty that is 3yrs old with only 1 yr of light use- sound like a good plow for my truck and my planned usage of it? (It came off of the same model truck as I have.) If not, what would you recommend? Id prefer to get a steel blade for durability. If i do sub for a friend doing his apt complexes id prefer a steel over poly because of objects left in the parking lots by tenants that have been hit by him before.
  6. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

I plow with my 98 k1500 all I did was crank T-bars add timbin knock offs from summit racing . threw in 500lbs of ballast . thats with a 8ft western unimont 700 lbs . it doesn't sag more then 3/4 of a inch .and a cheap tranny cooler .
  7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would still add a bigger amp alt. As far as a tranny cooler, any one would do they pretty much are all the same unless you get into a fan cooled tranny cooler like we did on our 94, but then your talking 200 bucks.
  8. hawk29

hawk29 Junior Member
    from Sw ohio

I am in the process of mounting a meyer plow to a 98 k1500 z71. And had a couple of questions on the mount. I am not sure of the mount name but it came with the plow st-7.5? Any way the mount molts to the 3 bolts for the bumper mount and then there are brackets the mount back at an angle. On the drivers side this installed just fine by removing the bolt and reinstalling. On the passenger side the "bracket" i am not sure of where to mount to. There are no "bolts" to unbolt and then bolt back up to.
  9. hawk29

hawk29 Junior Member
    from Sw ohio

What was the part number of the (timbrens) you ordered from summit?
  10. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

This is what I got from summit .
    Before It gets started
    I know I am stupid , they don't work, I am going to brake my truck, there cheap junk, I wasted my money. blah blah blah
    got that out of the way
    they did rub a little on my wheel but that was taken care of , it just scraped off a 1\4 inch of rubber and work fine . installs in 30mins .

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

hawk,you will need to drill the hole yourself as there is no existing hole in the frame.Use a 13/16 drill bit.Just use the side brace as a "template". If you want a copy of the factory mounting instructions drop me a pm with your email address and I'll send it to ya.
  12. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

+1 for the bigger alternator.

$200 is significantly less than a replacement torquee converter if you ask me. Plowing is right up there with the hardest work a pickup truck can be asked to do...anyhting you can do to make it easier on the truck over the long haul is a good idea and willpay you back tenfold over the next few years.
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

if i get a plow, could i run with my stock alternator for a bit until i get the extra money to spend on a higher amp one? id turn off my sub and amp and keep the unecessary lights to a minimum, and for the driveways ill be doing i wont need a beacon or anything unless im by the road. also i believe its my tranny, it slips at about 10 mph, would plowing kill the tranny pretty quick if i dont get it fixed or rebuilt (built up stronger) before plowing? thanks for all the info so far, im just looking for a faster way than the atv
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your stock alternater will be fine for what you'll be doing,it's the tranny I'd be more worried about.If your already having problems with it,plowing is just gonna kill it faster!
  15. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Bigger alt. Timbrens. Crank up the t bars. Tranny cooler. Steel blade. You will be fine.
    Might want to check the fan clutch as well. Put the heavy duty one on it. Also, as far as gravel, with a steel plow, easy fix is to put a rubber cutting edge on it. They work well and won't hurt anything. Not real good for back dragging though. JMO
  16. hawk29

hawk29 Junior Member
    from Sw ohio

Got my plow on and all seems well. My truck has a 100A alt will this be big enough or should i get a larger one? Also how do you crank up the torseion bars? How much should i crank them up? With the z71 suspension and my truck being a regcab short bed with the plow on the truck the truck goes down 3/4 to 1" on the front with the plow on. FYI the plow is a meyer ST 7.5 with a m60 pump.
  17. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

18. corey1977

corey1977 Member
    from maine

k1500 plowing equioment

sound like u need a fisher home steader plow
  19. hotvet67

hotvet67 Junior Member

98 Tahoe 1500 With Western 7.5

Mark13 - Heres my 98 Tahoe with a western ultra mount 7.5 standard pro plow 7.5 steel blade. Bars are 4 turns , Timbrems , 3 to 400lbs ballast , Truck has the tow pkg and a 3:73 posi rear. . I beleive you need to fix the weak trans on yours before you try plowing.

20. aplow4now

aplow4now Junior Member

steel or poly.

i have a 7'6" meyers poly. 70# to 80# heavier than steel and $2,000 to replace the skin. rotsa ruck.