1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

K&N air intakes/filters good bad or other

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plowenforfun, Jun 10, 2008.

1. plowenforfun

plowenforfun Junior Member

I have a 2003 F250 super duty with a 6.0 power stroke and I wanted to know if anyone out there has put a K&N air intake on there 03' 6.0 and how long has it been on there(miles and time)? How well did it work? Any increase in fuel mpg's? Any more power?were there/ are there any ill affect ? Thanks

2. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I have read lately that many are moving away from the oiled type filters.... I Never really saw much difference in performance and I have tried both the replacement intakes and the drops in type...I have an AMsoil Nano filter on order......supposedly more air flow.......

3. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

4. plowenforfun

plowenforfun Junior Member

I'll check it out thanks for the help

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I've heard the K&N intakes allow a lot of junk into the engine. Injen has a diesel intake out there with an amsoil filter element. I thinks its what dmontgomery might be talking about.

6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Any filter out there that flows more means it has larger openings, which in turn means more crap. K&N uses oil to help catch this crap, but it still allows it through.

The only exception to this is the new synthetic media out there.

7. RSieck

RSieck Junior Member
    from Iowa

Stay away from K&N for diesel applications. They don't like the turbo. The turbo sucks to much through the filter, and the K&N just doesn't work well with them. Go with a AFE stage 2 or the like. Many guys run that and love it!

8. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

I've used KN on my V8 explorer, it didn't do much for me except give a nice sound at high RPM. I haven't put one on my truck yet since I don't spend like spending the money on something that wont do much for me

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

If you read the Ford forums, there is no need for an aftermarket intake unless you are going over 500 HP.

That, and an independent study showed K&N as the worst filter out there for actual filtration.

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Mark is 100% right, the same thing goes for the D-Max.

11. Mark Oomkes

Could you tell my wife that? She never thinks I'm right.

12. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree to some point, but an intake will drop you're EGTs, and yes stay way from the K&N

13. Mark Oomkes

Not nearly as much as an exhaust will.

The zoodad mod that everyone wants to do on the 6.0hNo does absolutely zip, zero, nada to reduce intake air temps.

14. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Completely agree with you on that one

15. RSieck

RSieck Junior Member
    from Iowa

Unless you have an Early 99 Powerstroke. That intake from the factory sucked, and would allow dirt to get past the filter if you didn't put the filter back in EXACTLY like you were supposed to. Or for about $40 you can build your own 7.3 intake and be money ahead and ahead in performance....:D