1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just wondering....

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by plowwannab2003, Jul 31, 2004.

1. plowwannab2003

plowwannab2003 Member

i was just curiouse if it is possible to change a 2wd truck to a 4wd truck and if so how reliable and how expensive is it?

2. PolarBear

PolarBear Member

It can be done... Its expensive and labor intensive.

You would be better off buying a truck that is already 4x4

3. intimidator

intimidator Member

I've got to agree, way too much work. I once changed one of our plow trucks from 4 spd. to automatic and that was a pain, I can't imagine trying to make a 4wd out of a 2wd.

4. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Its all dependant on your skills, tools, and patience levels!

Anything is possible.

5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

buy a 4x4 it will be cheaper and easier.

6. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

A buddy of mine and I made his 76 F-250 2wd into a 4wd. It took us about 2 months to get everything where it should be and back on the road. It was a real PITA, but the truck had lots of sentimental value to him, his father bought it brand new and took great care of it. Then it became his after his dad pasted away a couple years ago. Would I recommend doing it, no, not unless you have lots of extra time, money, and using a few choice words.

7. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I did just that. I had a 2 wheel drive 81 F150. I bought a 86 F250 that the cab and engine burnt up. I rebuilt the F250 frame and put my engine, cab and bed on it. It took me 3 weeks doing it a few nights a week. It was alot and would have been easier and cheaper to buy a new truck. I just wanted the fun of doing it and the presure seing I started this the first week in December. I wanted it done before the snow can. Won't do it again. I also had a complete truck and welding shop to do it in with all tools lifts a able to make anything I needed.:)

8. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

When we did my buddies truck we used the 2wd frame, body, rearend, and motor. Then put in all the parts, the biggest pain was the fact that donor 4wd truck had a different frame width than the 2wd. So the tranny and T-case supports had to be modified, along with the spring perch's on the front axle, then had to drill holes for the front spring shackles, shock mounts had to be changed, had to cut a hole in the cab floor for the shifter, and lots of other little things.

9. plowwannab2003

plowwannab2003 Member

thanks for the info guys it was just something that randomly popped into my head one day and i thought i would ask if it was possible or not.i don't think i would go ahead and do it i would wait and save up money to get a 4 wheel drive anyway.thanks again.

10. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Im guessng you swapped the TIB for the TTB in a older f-series? The cross members are diffrent between the 4x2s and 4x4s. Rangers and F-series were almost identical besides the size diffrence and neather truck can be eazyly converted without hacking stuff up.

The only way I would reccoment is if the truck is going to be used as a off-roader and your going with a SFA. then its actually eazyer to start with a 2wd because there is less stuff to remove.

At some point in the next year or so Im going to build another ranger with full sized dana 60s front and rear, but thats going to be strictly off road only though:D