1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just wondering what you guys would charge for this complex

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Guzzo856, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

2. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

3. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

what are you using? sidewalks, plowing, and salt on everything? Seasonal or per push?

4. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

plowing wise your looking at roughly 3.5 acres of pavement. If you throw a loader on there with a pusher or plow your talking about 5 hours of plowing time for a 1-3.99" event, plus then I would figure in about an extra hour to come back after majority of the people have left to clean up the parking stalls where cars were parked overnight. So id probably do it at about $600-800/push 1-3.99" depending on your rate. Salting on the light side your looking at about 2400lbs up to about 3500lbs for a heavier app. So figure about 3000lbs of salt per app on average probably about $400-500 depending on price.

Lots of sidewalks there. Just in all the perimeter walks going around the site and buildings you have 30k sqft of walks, that doesnt even include the walks leading up to each building. To guess safely you probably have like 1 acre of sidewalks there. A guy using a good snow blower can do about 4 or 5k per hour on a 1-3.99 inch storm. So figure right there your probably talking 12 hours to do those sidewalks (figure in fatigue and such) so depending on your rate probably $450-600 for shoveling, and then ice melt would probably be 3000lbs depending on the type and rate you apply it at so probably $600-1000 for ice melt.

So in all for a 1-3.99" storm id be somewhere in the range of 2300-2600 or so. My guess is they are looking for a seasonal contract though right?

Could defenitaly be a good account to have but just make sure your properly equiped for that. Thats a 4 person sidewalk team there easily for the entire storm and a loader itself, plus then a salt rig and probably a plow truck just to do some little cleanup stuff during the storm. I know in your other thread you said you already had something like 20 sidewalk guys and being your first year in snow removel just use caution to not get in too much over your head.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  5. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

i will have 2 trucks in there plowing. in a avg storm it should take 2.5 hrs. i am doing everything, i will not have a skid steer in there because it will be busy where i need it and people will pay me more. for a 2-4" event im at $750, for that snowfall for sidewalks im at $550 ( i will have a 6 man crew) for salt on the roads im at $480, and calcium about $480 also

6. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

i should be able to handle it, my largest account is 26,300 acres of pavement

7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

How long does that take to plow?

8. nepatsfan

nepatsfan Senior Member

1,145,628,000 square feet is a pretty big property. What are you running there about 10,000 loaders and a few thousand pickups?

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

What account is that?

10. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

That customer owns .5% of the state of New Jersey in Pavement? I better rethink the chevy thing and buy fords. I think you made a typo.

11. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

2.5hrs with 2 trucks not a chance. How you going to take on anymore work? Even if your big lot is only 6.3 acres you would have a pretty full plate. Just for reference the West Edmonton Mall has the largest parking lot in the WORLD and it's only 300 acres and holds 20,000 cars

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  12. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

X2. Take a solid look at that map. Do you have any idea on where you are going to put snow? It looks like you would have to go over the sidewalk half the time. I Would definitely be looking at keeping a large 2 speed skid on site. I just don't think you can do a quality job at that place with trucks. Maybe if you only get 1" storms all year, but anything more and that place would look like a disaster. I do a smaller condo place like that when I sub and all we do is clear lanes. The they go in with skid steers after the storm and have everyone move their cars. Definitely would be re-thinking that if you wanna keep that account for more than this year.

13. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Exactly 99% of the road has parking on both sides, what ya going to do with the snow

14. ProLawn Outdoor

ProLawn Outdoor Senior Member

Another thing to add, if you aren't planning on bringing in a skid/loader, make sure they know that they will lose parking very fast. Could be a lot if you get a bad storm. Hope the manager is on the same page as you are. Make sure you know EXACTLY what they want, and they know what you are willing and able to provide.

15. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

I mean 26.00 acres

16. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

They are not willing to pay me for any loaders so all I can do is the best with 2 trucks

17. NICHOLS LANDSCA

What do you plow that with?

18. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If you getting so much money what does it matter If have 2 trucks or 2trucks and skidloader
    Thats lot of work for just 2 trucks you have rear plow on them trucks if not looks like alot back dragging

19. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

i have a f250 with 8ft blade and a f550 with 9ft blade and a skid steer with a 8ft pusher on it, 4 hrs in have a 3rd f550 come in

20. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 Member

i agree with you because i would be paying my subs the same amount of$$ but the problem is is that i can have more productivity out of a sub with a truck because after that job im going to need them at a different small jobs that dont require a skid steer.. plus i can get more money having a skid steer in there after a storm @ $190 an hr