1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just wondering how far out of line I am?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Makndust, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have been sanding for about 3 years now. I have to buy the sand from the city. It costs me $35.00 / ton. I can only get it during business hours unless I want to pay an 80.00 afterhours fee. This means I have to store the sand truck in a heated shop (which I have to rent) in order to cover my customers on the weekends or after 5:00 PM. I go out and check parking lots for my customers on a regular basis (2 - 3 times a day on a snow event) I charge $10 per hundred for the sand, then application (minimal charge) on top of that. I have a 1 ton pickup and a 8' Vbox boss sander. I know that this probably sounds a little steep, but I babysit these accounts pretty hard. I've been called at 6:00 AM on a Sunday to sand the local truck stop. I weigh the sand pickup between each application so as to be accurate with my charging. I'm thinking about going to a discount when the account goes thru a full load at a time (mabey 7.50 / 100 lbs). What do you think? Thanks for the imput. I know that some guys charge 50.00 for a large lot in other towns and I know that I have way too much into it to do that.

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

why do they have to call for you to sand if you are babysitting the job?

your price seems outragous to me but thats JMO

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

You're paying $35/ton and charging $200/ton? Plus an application fee? Then, they have to call you? And you're griping about renting a heated building? What do you call "babysitting"?

$150 is a "discount"?

Is this thread a joke?

Have you ever heard of adding salt to the sand to prevent the sand from freezing/clumping?

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

why on earth would anyone pay 200 per ton for sand, when lots of guys will do salt for the same price

babysitiing? sunday? let me tell you ...go read one of my threads today ...i got called at 3 AM... and had to call guys early and go to work at 3 AM

heated shop ,just to store your sand? thats not the customers fault that you dont have your own pile. you should if you do that much work that you need a heated shop... if not fill up buckets and keep them handy

heck i cant store bulk at my house... its all on sites.... so i keep 25 , 50 lbs of salt on top of the vee box rready to go at all times.... it gives me lots of traction, salt stays dry... and i have my first .5 ton with me at all times.... it costs only a little more this year for bagged VS bulk.... so the 10 bucks extra is worth the time savings

back to the point... JMO your charging alot, if you dont liek to babysit your in the wrong business... i sleep in my truck on the lots all the time. Again - keep in mind your not in my area... each one is different

5. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Everyone hates a lowballer and you ain't one! Anyone can charge anything they want, if you can charge that kind of scratch good for you, whatever your market can bear. For that much though you need to take better care of the sites, I'd live there for that kind of money. It is a cost plus deal, not a flat rate....so your incentive should be to sling as much as you can! They should never have to call you; both from the good service end and your bottom line!

6. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I guess that some of you guys missunderstood me. First of all, I am NOT complaining about the service I provide. Just because I call it babysitting, doesn't mean that I have a problem doing it. I do get the rare call when things turn icy and I havn't been there in the last few hours. Otherwise I usually am the one to bring it up to the business owner about the problem and we solve it. I'm sorry if I offended a few of you. I am the only one that is willing to do this in our community. We don't have a bunch of lowballers and compitition in this area. As for salt, I have no way of mixing it with the sand.