1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just When you thought it couldn't get any worse!

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by ThePlowKing, Feb 18, 2007.

1. ThePlowKing

ThePlowKing Member

This happened during the Valentine's Day snow storm in Portsmouth, NH. This poor guy's truck went up in flames across the street from one of the accounts I plow. The fire department showed up just as i took the picture, but i guess it was too late. :eek:

100_1009.JPG

2. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

That really sucks. Hope he kept his insurance up with fire coverage.

3. scholzee

scholzee Senior Member

Wow looks like it is in a new car lot, imagine if it spread to those and they started on fire, talk about dropped insurance.

4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

:help: THE CAR LOTS AROUND ME USE A BRAND NEW TRUCK THATS FOR SALE TO PLOW..I HOPE THAT WAS'NT BRAND NEW!!:cry:

5. btr1286

btr1286 Junior Member

Any idea as to what started the fire and what kind of truck it was?

6. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

My guess is a short, like scholzee said, looks like a new car lot. The truck kinda looked new too.

7. payton

payton Senior Member

it doesnt appear to be a new truck.. it appears to be an older scout or international. by the looks of the headlights and espically the windshield still sucks

8. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 Member

The guy wasn't trapped inside was he?

9. fatboy

fatboy Senior Member

Well at least he wasnt cold.......:D

10. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Ouch, a carbeque in the dead of winter.

11. SuperDutyFisher

SuperDutyFisher Member

Man, that must have been scary:eek:

12. lakesregionscap

lakesregionscap Junior Member

Burnt up our '86 F250 a little over a year ago (in October) next to a customers house... Not only does it suck when it happens, but you keep looking for stuff that was in the truck ... you need to replace the truck... you get to explain the big sooty spot on the ground 100 times to every contractor and neighbor within a mile radius for months afterwards. (And our insurance didn't cover, because we had liability only - too old to be worth much) Talk about a BAD DAY!

13. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Looks like someone standing by the white car. Might be the driver and/or the fanner of the flames! Sure is well on it's way to OH SHEET!!!! Hippy

14. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

that's why i carry a 2 lbs extingusher in my truck at all times..... never used it on my own, but have saved others.

bein' a volly firefighter, i can tell ya, if you can stop it when it starts, your ok..... otherwise, it's a loss

15. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

I burned a plow to the ground a few years back. Electrical problem. (matter of fact, the one in my avatar)

Seen many a stock auto burn also.

Always ugly and dangerous!:dizzy:

16. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

damn that sux,

17. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

While still with CDOT (in my own private vehicle on the way home), I came across a PU pulling a 4 horse up the canyon that leads towards my house. Struggling to climb the grade. I offered to hook a chain and get him past the steep part. Declined.

200 yards up the road, they stalled again, and lifted hood to check out smoke (VERY BAD MOVE, lift hood - feed oxygen to fire!). Having more than a little experience in this type situation, I bailed and ran forward to the problem truck. Upon seeing engine fire, I did not ask, but DEMANDED that the stock be immediately unloaded. I then used State issued cell to call emergency response from State Patrol and Firefighters.

The occupants complied only after recognizing that the engine fire was out of control (they were sensible Oklahoma boys so this took less than 1 minute).

Truck - total loss (gas lines melted, several explosions including gas tank). Trailer - smoke damage (after the fire was out I towed to safe park). Two occupants and four horses - scared but unharmed. Hwy 67 - asphalt burned for about 25 ft.

Engine compartment fires will generally be totally out of control as soon as the hood is lifted (and probably before that)!

BE SAFE!

BTW - I recieved not so much as a commendation in my file for saving the life of the people, stock, or preventing wildfire in this canyon by appropriate response to emergency while off the clock. Considered standard duty - and thus it should be. Give your State Hwy workers a little thanks once in a while! They are out there trying to help YOU!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  18. ThePlowKing

ThePlowKing Member

Fortunately, the driver made it out just fine to my understanding. The truck did go up in flames in a Saturn dealership... should go see if any of those plastic cars melted.

19. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Lost one of ours years ago, emptied 2 extinguishers on it. Fuel line melted, but the wires to the fuel pump in the tank did not melt until later. Fuel just got pumped right into the fire. I got paid to watch my truck burn.

That could have turned into a major conflagration with all that plastic. lol After trying to extricate a few people out of Saturns, I can guarantee that is one car I will never own.

20. JSLandscaping

JSLandscaping Junior Member

I always carry a fire extinguisher as well as a pair of cutting pliers. To prevent the fire from spreading such as due to an electrical fire if possible cut the negative cable to the battery to kill the circuit of electricity. If your truck is going up, shut it off and cut those cables to the battery and kill it with the extinguisher. If you dont have an electrical source the fuel pump wont keep pumping and you will be able to get the fire under control. I had my 97 ram 2500 catch on me one night in a TGI fridays parking lot due to a cracked fuel line where it came into the fuel rail. Had my at the time girlfriend with me. Luckily I was able to put it out before any serious damage was done. Still runnin strong today. Have put out about 3 car fires as well with my extinguishers I carry in the truck. After the second one I put out, I realized it must have been a calling from someone above that I was ment to be a firefighter, ended up joining my local FD the next day. Now usually when we go out to calls by the time we are able to get there usually the vehicles are fully involved. Personally I think every one should be required to carry even a small one in any vehicle, would prevent a lot of these fires if people were prepared and knew how to use it. Seen a lot of ricers go up in smoke due to people my age modding them up without knowing what they are really doing, running those huge amplifiers with the wrong cables, turbo's not being heat shielded or just other plain non profesional work that can cause the fires. Sure is fun soaking them down with the foam tho from the nozzle of the line. Shame to see any vehicle go up in smoke, can be very dangerous, we have had a couple cars expode as we arrived. Definatly an adrenaline rush, those gas tanks are ticking time bombs.