1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just when all was well...Lost OIL Pressure :(

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by 86 CJ, Feb 1, 2010.

1. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Well after a weekend of happy plowing and putting the first 110 miles on the Jeep in 3 years after its partial restore project, I went to spray all the salt off of the engine, frame and everything and noticed that I had 0 OIL Pressure on my mechanical guage :( recently when I got it back on the road a couple weeks ago it has always been sitting around 40, then I noticed when plowing its been at 20 most of the time, which is fine. Yesterday I went out and hit some driveways and it was 10. today I am at 0 witha full pan of oil :(( I will check the guage at the block first, then maybe oil filter. I have had one clog before.

Anyone other suggestions from you Jeep guys before I have to take the whole pan off to get to the sending unit :(((

??????

2. sjwrangler

sjwrangler Member

Be sure it is not a gauge problem before tearing down the pan.

Also, you might get a lot of information on the Jeep forum page. You will have to be specific as to what Jeep it is and what year/ what engine you have.
    http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/

3. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

Thanks Man

I have been back out there for the past hour. I checked teh clear tube on the guage and blew it out, cranked it up and got about 5-10 psi :confused: Then drained the oil and replaced the filter and BINGO..

I am back to 50-60 PSI wesport:drinkup:

This is the second time I have had a new or newer(110 miles) filter suck something up or clog and totally kill pressure to the engine..I consider it an easy fix, and no PAN dropping today :)

I am Happy now and waiting for more snow to come, just gottta throw my radio in now..

4. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Wat kind oil filter?

If it was Fram there is problem.

5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Did you open the filter to see what was in it?

6. 86 CJ

86 CJ Senior Member
    from MD

I did not open it up and YES..It was a brand new Fram Suregrip...

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

There problem

STOP use Fram it garbage:realmad:. You lucky it didn't run your engine.

8. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

What engine do you have in your 86, if you don't mind me askin? I have an '80 with a 258 and it never had good oil pressure. It had an electric sending unit that I replace, no improvement, pulled down the pan and put in a high performance oil pump, no improvement, pulled off a main bearing cap and checked the tolerance, it was right in the middle of the range. Long story short, I put it back together and figure, if it sounds good (no knocking) it is good.