1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Want to Get By.....

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by the beast, Oct 24, 2007.

1. the beast

the beast Junior Member

I'm new to being able to post to the forum but have been looking at all the posts for a while and have a unique problem. I have a 1987 plow truck with a Meyers E47 pump that ONLY does my 200 foot driveway. I got sick of blowing snow on a lawn tractor and for less than the cost of a new snow blower bought a used truck and plow, affectionately named "the Beast." I just want to get through this coming winter with it. I've had it for two years and the first year was a shakedown (replaced all couplings and hoses) and the second year was sort of OK....until I had a lot of foaming and icing issues which went away when I cleaned the filters and replaced all the fluid. My question is, what should I be doing to the pump NOW so that I can have an uneventful winter? Note that everything is currently working fine and my local Meyers dealer told me not to use Meyers fluid and sold me some generic blue stuff, which seems to work. For a truck that won't travel a total of a mile this winter, should I drain and flush the entire system? And refill with...?

Sorry for the long post, but I've been saving it up for 6 months.
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You'll want to clean the filters and clean and re fill it every year. This is very important to any plow system but especially to a Meyer setup. They will not tolerate water or contamination in the fluid for long before you start to have problems. Make sure you drain and flush the entire system including the angle cylinders and hoses.. Use the Meyer Hydra flush fluid to flush the system and then use genuine Meyer plow fluid to refill it. This little preventative maintenance now, with save you a lot of headaches later when you need to depend on the plow the most..
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats a tough one due to the fact he's only plowing a 200ft driveway. I would think you could get at least 2 seasons out of the fluid if your only doing that little bit. I cant remember if you said you already flushed the entire system or not, but if not, I would and let it go for a couple of seasons. There are a lot of possible problems when buying a used plow, as you already know. My first plow was a used Meyer's YUK! but it went straight to the dealer right after I bought it, he found 2 things wrong with it right off the bat which saved me all of the headaches in the winter while plowing.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The usage isn't what's tough on the fluid. it's the setting outdoors, drawing moisture and only using it occasionally that's hard on it.
  5. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

then dont do anything too it unless you have to. maybe change the fluid every three years. if it isnt broke dont fix it. not like its a matter of life and death if it stops working for a day is it?
  6. altitude8000

altitude8000 Junior Member

Change every year?

I hate to play devil's advocate here, but I have had a Myers plow for almost 20 years. I have changed the fluid ONCE. I add a little here and there, but no more than a quart over a season. It gets used 3-15 times a year.

It now needs seals, but after 20 years I'm not disappointed.
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm going with this, a little more maintenance is worth it. I see guys buy things and don't do anything to them, untill somethings wrong. I treat them like I'm going to use them for the rest of my life, so I service everthing regulary. I'd rather change my pump oil 20 times when it's warm out, then have to screw with something when it 's snowing and -10. Snow plows only break when you need them. JMO
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Couldn't have said it better myself Dave... I wish more plowers had this mentality..
  9. the beast

the beast Junior Member

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. While I don't think I'll tear apart and re-build the pump for the hell of it (fixing things that aren't broke..) I do think I'll flush and re-fill the system. Seems like a minimal amount of work and expense to at least get off to a good start. I guess I just needed some confirmation that it's the right thing to do. Thanks again.
  10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

An excellent idea beast. It'll be money and time well spent. :)
  11. Labratz

Labratz Junior Member

i agree with b&b i just did the full rebuild it was my first time doing it and it only took 2 hour to have it off and back on the truck with me never doing it before i looked at the book and seid no but the wife seid u spent the money on the truck and plow fix it what i got in the plow and truck i will make it all back the first snow fall just replace it all have fun with it its easy easy easy later Dale
  12. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

We have a few Meyer setups that are over 20 years old and still kickin' This is the 1st year I flushed and overhauled everthing in about 10 years..lol. The fluid has just been adding what was needed. and they get used pretty hard when it snows here. other than the occasional bad coupling or solenoid, etc.. no major problems. So, from my experience...Do they need to be flushed every year, NO. Is it nice to do, YES. Maybe the newer Meyer equipment is quirky but the older stuff can't be beat. I would take the trusty E47 any day of the week over anything else..SO WHAT, it's a little slower. I can't stand the E60 because the motor will continue to run for a second after letting off the button so it loses all angling precision.