1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just waiting for snow

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rmartini27, Jun 7, 2009.

1. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

Finally replacing my 94 gmc 2500 with a 03 gmc 2500 duramax. I'm ordering a fisher SS xblade. there is quite a difference in power between the two. the truck doesn't have the plow prep package does anybody have any suggestions on any preps i should do to this truck? (hi output alt, stiffing front suspension etc?) or any comments on the choice of plow? another question, when you feed the plow which battery do you use starter or acc.? I'm looking forward to your input on this and to the first snow fall

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

dont see anything
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Any reason you're not getting an XV?
  4. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

i never really considered it i dont have many accounts and the str blade is all i ever needed. any problems with the weight i have a 8' plow now should i stay with the same size
  5. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

any suggestions on which battery to use?

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

I have a 04 ext. cab d-max and I run a 8'2'' poly vee blade on it. Never had a problem yet. I added timberns to the front and last year I had 800 pounds of weight in the bed. This past year I ran a pull plow off the back of it and didn't need the balast anymore. I had thr stock batteries in the truck for the first year I plowed with it. Last year I bought 2 yellow top optimas. I've only owned the truck for 2 years and I can't say enough about it. I always always always make complete stops when I am changing gears too. Not just when I am plowing but all the time. The only complant I have it the reverese in tranny. But every guy will tell ya they hate that.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I can suggest what NOT to get. I've been buying junk batteries for the past year which I resell for recycling.- mostly from repair shops. The most common names I get are NAPA Legend 75, Everstart and DEKA. I wouldn't recommend anything sold by VIP. Basically, get the heaviest battery you can that will fit in the space you have. For reference purpose, the average battery weighs 35 pounds. Batteries are made by a few companies and mostly relabeled for the retailer. Get a battery that is made by the company with its label on it. There are some exceptions - for instance Bosch and Optima is made by Johnson Controls but so is DieHard, Duralast and EverStart (none of the latter which I'd recommend).

All this is just my personal opinion.
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  9. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

yeah im taking the batteries out of my old truck, i have two new die hard marine deep cells 880 cca's. the new truck has two 660cca car quest in it now they look a little weak. i was really wondering which battery you guys use for the plow install the one that is hooked up to the starter or the one for the ACC. it would make sence to me to use the one that is used to start the truck but i know the beating that my batteries from the old truck took so i dont want to use the wrong one. the new truck is going in to get the injectors done at the end of the week. changed the oil once i got it drained out over 5 gal of a oil diesel mix
  10. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

ouch. am i reading that right. 5 gallons of fuel and oil???? i run the plow controlls and everything on the batter on the passenger side. looks into a boss plow over a fisher.
  11. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

yeah 5+ gallons crazy right. the guy didnt think it was still warrented so i got the truck for 10 grad and its very clean so i think made out pretty good. i cant wait to drive the truck when its working right. what do you know about some of the aftermarket performance stuff for the deisel? i dont want anything crazy but i know a deisel mech for chevy who said the milder stuff will not hurt the engine and will increase fuel economy. that is what i was thinking for the battery that is the one for the starter it will be nice to use the plow without dimming my lights
  12. tinffx

tinffx Member

I like interstate batteries.
  13. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have a walmart battery in my truck and the damn thing wont die!!!