1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just upgraded to a 8ft blade few Questions

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by BiggaPlowGuy, Jan 3, 2013.

1. BiggaPlowGuy

BiggaPlowGuy Junior Member

I just upgraded from a 7'6" to an 8" on my 2000 GMC Yukon XL 2500 Series. The blade setup is an old style 15" swing and the chain is welded all the way out by the pivot bolt. My question is anyone have experience moving the chain back to the top of the manual locking assembly?

Also as part of the deal I got the pump and rams from a truck that honestly hasn't plowed snow in about 15 years or so. I tried to tap on the motor and hit it with the jump box and got nothing. I drained out some water and just don't know if it worth rebuilding or should I just dump the money into a E60? Seems like the E47 has no problem lifting the bigger blade just slower than the little guy.

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

it is very easy to move the chain to the lock assembly. i have 4 plows setup that way with dual chains so they will work on either the new trucks or the old ones.

3. BiggaPlowGuy

BiggaPlowGuy Junior Member

Thanks for the response. What do you use to hold the chain not in use? I was thinking of leaving the original one there but couldn't figure out what to do with it when it not lifting, without getting it falling somewhere it shouldn't and causing more damage.

4. tjctransport

heavy duty black wire ties.
    i just zip tie them together below where the chain goes into the lift arm.

5. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

What's wrong with having the chain out farther? It doesn't have to be perfectly vertical. It just has to "work".

6. tjctransport

with the chain out in the "old plow" position it "don't work"
    the chain is at a severe angle, and will only lift the blade around 3 inches, compared to 8-12 inches with as straight lift.

7. jasonv

from kannada

I think you've got more problems than the angle of the chain.

8. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

No JV, moving the chain back to the rear position will fix the lifting height issue....it is basic geometry.

BiggaPlowGuy, I would test the unit before making anything too permanent to ensure the blade will lift adequately when stacking snow......if you can balance a couple sand bags on the blade ensure that it will still lift. The further back you put the chain, the less lifting force you will get.

9. jasonv

from kannada

By some very basic geometry, the further IN you connect the chain, the more force it takes to lift. Not lifting straight up, mind you, which cancels out the extra leverage. Net not much, either way depending on the specific setup.

My e47 manages just fine with the chain angled significantly out (about a foot out from vertical), even with the blade cram packed full with a face full of snow... after it fully compresses the front suspension down to the bump stops, it still lifts it with authority. So geometry lessons not withstanding, there is something wrong with his pump.

10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You have obviously never dealt with this issue. A foot forward is pretty standard, none of them lift straight up, they need to be forward as the lift point moves closer to truck (and lift center) while rising. They shortened the aframe for the EZ classic model from the older conventional and the guys using the older blades always lifted slower than the ones with the correct A frame E-60 or E-47. And he as shifted it even further with the 15" A frame. He has not only decreased the ability to lift though increased lift angle, he has moved the blade further from the hinge pins while retaining the same lift point significantly decreasing the units designed mechanical advantages and negatively impacting its weight ratio and load balance.

11. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

If you read before you type, it might help save you some calloused fingertips. But thanks for repeating what I said.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  12. tjctransport

it has nothing to do with lifting force, and pump capabilities. it is simple geometry. if you try to lift point "A" 8 inches with point "B" at a 45 degree angle, and point "C" fixed at 10 inches, point "B" will only lift around 3 inches.
    now change point "B" angle to 10 degrees, and it will lift all 8 inches.

13. jasonv

from kannada

How about some pictures to make the exact situation clear?

14. jasonv

from kannada

You're talking about a foot forward of vertical.
    I'M talking about a foot forward of WHERE ITS SUPPOSED TO BE on my clobbered together piece of junk.

15. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I welded a piece of rebar with the chain on it about 6-8" back of stock ,on my C8 and the E47 lifted it just fine, I have since moved up to an E58 but the 47 worked fine. The reason I did it was so that the plow was balanced while lifted on the chain making it easier for me to manipulate the pins into place. My setup is unique in that I installed an old plow system on a new truck so I had to custom make a lot of parts. I call it the "5 minute mount" :mechanic: