1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just trying to get spec on my truck

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by robH, Feb 18, 2003.

1. robH

robH Junior Member

I have searched all over, looking for some basic specs on my 81 k30

what i know..

d60 front
    gm corporate 14 bolt ff rear
    454 ci 7.4 liter

np205 trannsfer case??

what type of transmission and gearing should i expect with this truck?

has 4 speed, one of which is a granny type gear. seems to have high rpms in all gears, which makes me think it is geared more for towing?

any information and anything else would be greatly appreciated.

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I think in those years they used an sm465. Three speed w/ low, and i think the low ratio was like 6.5:1. I cant say for sure abut the transfercase, but if its part time it would be the 205, with is next to bullet-proof. they didnt have the best low ratio, but they are very durable.

3. robH

robH Junior Member

thanks for the reply, i found some info today directing towards that but not real specific.

4. TRUP

TRUP Member

If the TC is aluminum then it's an NP208. 205's were made of steel.

5. 85w/350

85w/350 Senior Member

Its more than likely the np205...with the D60 front and 14B FF in the rear GM kept the k30's with much beef! The tranny will either be the SM465 with the granny low (6.55-1):eek: Or the auto tranny being a TH400 a heavy duty version of the Th350 with a bit higher first gear in the transmission pack both are 3 speed autos. Gearing in the rear unless it was a military truck or converted would be 4.11's

a 465/np205/4.11's with anthying close to street tires on 16.5" rims would make it feel geared extremely low.... I mean the truck was built for grunt hauling and pulling applications....tack on the monsterous low end of the 454 and its a pure beast!

6. robH

robH Junior Member

thanks for the awesome reply, thats everything i needed to know

7. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ