1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just thing back

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brownboots, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Brownboots

Brownboots Junior Member

I was talking to my wife about the longest time that I plowed straight without a break, well sleep. My record is 29 hours. Big-big storm, got done with final clean-up and then had to go back to move snow piles in a condo complex where it needed to be moved to the woods. There was another 8-10 inch storm coming in on its heels. I just wanted to get it all done so I could go home and curl up in the fetal position and go into a coma for twelve hours and not worry about having to get up and do that snow re-location in the morning. It worked. I slept like a baby. Just a side note, I don't drink caffeine and no there was no illegal drugs just music, cold air and three cans of chew. I'm sure some of you got me beat! Just trying to get a positive thread going. The threads lately show the lack of snow is getting to everyone.
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I went 38hrs one time. I completely lost track of what day it was. I got home at like noon and slept until the next morning.
  3. plowingkid35

plowingkid35 Senior Member

My personal record is 49 hours. Lots and lots of 5 hour energys and a log of chew..... vaguely remember it, i learned from that experience that i will never ever do that again... too much to lose
  4. Brownboots

Brownboots Junior Member

49 hours! You must of been seeing double
  5. strokerpuller

strokerpuller Member

I think 55hrs is my longest then I had to take a nap in the truck. We were there for 72hrs before I went home. All at one lot a trucking company. It snowed for 24hrs or so 15" total.
  6. strokerpuller

strokerpuller Member

Wow didn't realize that was my first post lol I'm on here all the time.
  7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Last year it seemed like I didn't sleep for 6 weeks (dec 26 - 1st week of feb) :realmad:
  8. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

worst shift ever was some where around ninety hours in a bobcat in one shift. Working for the city of Toronto many yrs back.
  9. IDST

IDST Senior Member

I started a friday night at midnight and didn't go to bed till monday morning about eleven. 59 hours i think that is. then I was back in the truck by two for 24 more. From start to finish that week (the next friday) i had nine hours of sleep then friday afternoon i got sick as all hell and passed out till saturday night. Then wouldn't you guess it we got another 5 inches. That was the 18 incher we got in MN last year. had to haul snow tues wed thurs friday.
  10. Ground Cover

Ground Cover Junior Member

couple years ago i had 2 good runs back to back. the first one was middle of december left the house on thursday night and returned home about noon on sunday the wrost part was that friday was my 21st birthday. thought no big deal i will make up for in on new years man was i wrong run another 36 hours that storm. said i was all done plowing snow but that didnt work out either here it is 4 years later and i am going into this on my own this year. safe plowing to evryone with those long nights in the trukcs and skids if it ever decides to start snowing.
  11. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

90 hours?? Really?? In a bobcat???? :laughing: That's nearly 4 days without a break, a nap, ANY sleep at all??? Just doesn't seem physically possible. :sleeping:
  12. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

31 hours last year.
    It gets to be too dangerous driving because you start drifting in the other lane or you may almost rear end someone.
    Not my favorite thing to do but works has to be done!
  13. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I can usually manage about 35-39 in one shot. The longest I pulled was 60 with two 2.5 hour naps. (not sure if that counts as one shot then.
  14. superdog1

superdog1 Senior Member

I have to agree. I was in the Army and on some exercises, they would keep us up for quite awhile. If you were lucky, you may get a short power nap for an hour or two? It is kind of hard to sleep though when you have a battery of 105's or 155's pounding away. While I don't remember exactly how long I was awake, it was at least 50+ hours! You start to do and say some really stupid things. I couldn't imagine being awake for 90 hrs and still functioning without some kind of help?

Talk about pink elephants and talking trees....................Go ask Alice, Lol
  15. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

When we went to Baltimore a couple years ago we were rotating in and out of the skid steer and truck 24/7 for 7 days straight and about 6hrs of sleep in all of that. Plowing straight through was well over 60hrs and yes I couldn't even talk right, I don't recommend it.
  16. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Did 41.5 hrs a year or two ago. Only got out of the truck to piss and gas up. I was seeing some goofy things on the way home! An hour nap, back out for another 18 hours, then home to crash! Boy I wouldn't recommend doing it that way either.
  17. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

72 hours about 15 or 16 years ago. Of course I did mostly residential back then, so I was out doing sidewalks about 80% of the time which keeps you awake. Finished up Christmas eve, ate dinner at the only place we could find open---a bowling alley, went home and slept through Christmas.

At this point I could never go that long, I was much younger then, and a little more crazy. Now I play it by ear....if I'm feeling good I'll keep going, but as soon as I start feeling a little wonky, I'm off to bed for a bit. For me, the risk isn't worth it.
  18. drp

drp Senior Member
    from ontario

yup you got an occasional nap will waiting for instructions on the next location to move to. But you stll never got out of the machine. Foot controls kept the body moving helped to stay awake. You didnt think about what next just waited for instructions. hopping to hear "that's it were done".

This also was about 20+ yrs ago, was much younger then, when i got home too buzzed to sleep right away and hurt in every muscle and joint for days.
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  19. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Many 20-24 your days spent in a truck through the years.

My longest span was about 40hours. About 35 hours into it, I slid the rear tire over the curb of a up hill, winding driveway. Mind you, I was in a GM 5500 4*4. The outcome, was a 4 hour, 5 truck and guy recovery. Thank God the guy I drove for pulled up AS this happened. He seen it all happen.

After about 20 hours, you start making bad decisions. Plowing isn't just driving, like so many people believe.
  20. hunt 444e

hunt 444e Member

i wont miss those days i was 25 thought i was unstoppable got awarded most of my bids that year not really expecting the work load one truck one me to damn proud or cheap to sub any work out got dumped like 32" in a a little under 2 days storm. aftrer a day and a half i needed a break fell asleep on the gas loading docks at one of my bulk plants dont even remember putting truck in P transport woke me up said he really didnt want to but needed to deliver diesel to the site hahaha. good way to really hurt someone i literally get dillusional when i stay up that long. carefull this season boys, thats if it ever snows