1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just starting...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by universal man, Sep 24, 2002.

1. universal man

universal man Junior Member

Hi i'm 16 years old i just recently took over my old boss's accounts. Such as a Super- Walmart, and American... Well i had several quetions I was wanting o ask... First I was wondering if it is possible to plow with a four wheel drive V8 mercury mountaineer... I know you wouldnt be able to put a huge blade on it but maybe something smaller is what i was wondering. Right now its my dads and my business but I pretty much run things.. We have 3 F-250's 2 of which are 4 wheel drive and also a skid loader.. there will also be a 3rd person joing in our business which will be able to work for u full time and take care of financial stuff unti i finish up school... I was hoping that some of you could give me some tips to have a organized and successful plowing season. I would really appreciatiate any responses! thanks!
    ~Universal man
  2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Stick to plowing with the 2 F250's 4X4's. Get either a 7'6" or 8' plow for the trucks. I would skip using the Mercury Mountaineer.

Skid Steer (GREAT) Look into buyin a Pro Tech or Avalanche for the skid steer, Here is the link to a thread discussing them:

By purchasing a snow pusher (Pro-Tech or Avalanche) for the skid steer in you will increase you profits by spending less time plowing lot the size of a Super Wal-Mart.

Another item would be a Spreader. There are many on the market, you will have to investigate the best one for you particular situation.

Check out on the main page Sima.org. Here is the link:

The Sima website is www.sima.org consider check that site out and joining Sima, the information available is tremendous.

Several members here are Sima members and will or might advise you to do the same, (Money very well spent).

ALWAYS have a signed contract for any work you do, and stick to the contract. Sima is a good source for this informaiton also.

Check the lots before the snow flies make a drawing of the lot and objects the have to be plowed around, this will help a great deal when it is 2:00 a.m. and the snow is flying. Also find out where (mark on your drawing) you can pile the snow. Each situation is different so without seeing the lot I won't try to tell you where I would pile the snow.

Chuck Smith is a moderator on this site, with a vast amount of information about snowplowing, vist his site here: http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/

Here is a link on Chuck Smit's site for a job site survey form: http://www.snowplowing-contractors.com/

Use Common sense!!!

Just my .02 worth,

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome aboard! :waving:

Please feel free to come to Plowsite at any time and ask any questions or chat with us. Hopefully that you could stay and post with us through the winter season. We have alot of "one post" wonders and I hope that it is not you. We'd love to have some more people to chat with because there seem to never be enough.

Again, wecome to the Plowsite!
  4. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Well look another Iowan:waving:

Welcome aboard and feel free to ask anything of us. There is so much knowledge and information on this site it will amaze you.

Again, welcome to plowsite,
    Mark K
  5. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

Welcome to the site. I am also a Quad-Citian, but from the good side of the river. With as many plowers we have on plowsite now from the Quads, we ought to have dinner or breakfast or something and get to know each other.
  6. J.Henderson

From Iowa/Illinois Quad Cities

Universal Man

Within 60 miles
    scl (Plowing the Gippers Hometown :) )
    speedracer 241
  7. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Yahoo shows I'm just over 3 hours from the Quad cities. Bet I can make it in 2.:D
    Wouldn't be a bad idea to have a little get together and say hi:waving:

Maybe a Plowsite midwestern get together.
    Just a thought
    Mark K
  8. J.Henderson

If we choose a 3 hour radius, we could include suburbs of Chicago, Rockford and Peoria. We might even get a few from Wisconsin. I bet we'd end up with around between 30-40 people if we count the windy city. I believe there are a few more from Iowa City, Cedar Rapids and Waterloo too. We could have a good get together.:drinkup: