1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just starting up had a few ???

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by scheiderertroy, Sep 12, 2010.

1. scheiderertroy

scheiderertroy Junior Member
    from ohio

Hello everyone im out of central ohio and just had a few question. Im actually starting out doing snow removal to try to get my name out there and start getting in the swing of things. I have my truck already just looking for a plow now. Come spring time i want to get into the lawn care portion of it. Questions i had is does anybody no the hourly rate for snow removal around ohio, or the per push rate? I already have about 7 residental houses in my grandmas housing devolopment and dont no what to charge or how to go about that?? any info would help thanks

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

U are going to hear this a lot, so I well say it nicely before everyone else. Nobody is going to share their rates with u, mainly because anyone close enough is a competitor, however there are a wealth of threads on how to setup your rates, billing, crews, profit margins, etc. Do some searches, contribute to some forums, and make some connections here, and u well do just fine. Welcome to plowsite

3. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

see the big serch button on the top, works great for these types of questions cause there are to many of them. welcome to plowsite

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I also will add that even 1 hour in any direction will change the rates for plowing. Even though I am in Northwest Ohio, my rate will be different than yours. To add one more little statement, they guy next door to you will have different rates than you as well. There are to many variables, and everyones costs are different, so you have to start by figuring out what it costs you to plow any 1 driveway, and or lot, and then figure out a reasonable profit, then figure out how much time it will take and multiply it all out to firgure your costs.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

An easy way to find out other peoples prices is to go into neighborhoods where lawn/plow companies litter their fliers all over the place. They will be on mailboxes and blowing all over the ground. Pick them up and look at them. I think that these fliers are probably usually in the lower 50% of the price range in the area, but don't know for sure.

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

First off Welcome..:waving:

You might want to look into subcontracting for a larger Snow contractor for a season or two.Get your feet wet and learn the biz a little......Also, look into joining SIMA..There is some real good info there....

Use the search button and read..Lots of good info...Ask questions..You might get some smart A@# answers...But , keep asking....Good Luck...:drinkup:

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This is a common technique used by those who can not figure their costs or have no business sense, The problem is that the company doing the advertising is either 1) in the same position as you or 2) using the "bait and switch" approach to marketing. Competing with their published prices will be a losing proposition. As has been said - figure your costs of fuel, equipment (and depreciation), insurance etc, add a decent profit, decide on your proposed services (plowing, sanding/salting, shoveling, snowblowing etc), target customers (residential, commercial) and service area. Come up with your own prices. One general guidline - if you get every job you go after, you're too low; if none then you're too high. One way to have - what have (or would) you paid to plow your own driveway? Use that and adjust as you assess jobs.

8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

AHHHHHHH, another one is born! My advise.....get out before it sucks you in!