1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just starting Snow Plowing in 2014

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Girts123, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Girts123

Girts123 Junior Member
    from PA

We just opened a Landscape business this year and are looking for advice on how to bid jobs. Last year we had about 6-12 inches every time it snowed. We were asked to bid on a 55+ development close to our business (main road, driveways and sidewalks). How do you bid on that and what type of equipment is best?

2. MI Green

MI Green Member

Might wanna check out the hiniker c folding plow for the driveways. I'd get a utility tractor with a power broom and snow blower with a drop spreader for sidewalks. If it was me I bid everything in pieces and then add it all together.

3. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Where in PA, - before I give advice

4. Girts123

Girts123 Junior Member
    from PA

Thank you! We're in Southeastern PA, the outskirts of Harrisburg.

5. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

How big is the place? Never hurts to have a few late model reliable 3/4 to or 1 ton trucks with either expanding or V plows, 8.5' minimum...and if you can swing it, a 50 hp tractor with a 6' blower. A back up or two is wise. But better 1 reliable late model truck or tractor than 6 old POS units. Quality trumps quantity when it comes to making money in the snow.
    As for bidding, how many hours total per push going at a steady but careful pace? Multiply the hours x $100 per hour, and add 10%. That is my advice, not knowing the details of your client's place..a baseline if you will.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  6. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Hiniker C plow??? Not!!!! Unless you've got huge dealer support in your area. Not a bad plow, but really?

7. JustJeff

Depends on your region, but this is sound, solid advice.

8. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

I agree with Harleyjeff and Buswell. Also, an extra salter/spreader wouldn't hurt either. You never know when one will freeze chain will break etc when your on a tight deadline

9. JustJeff

How long will it take you to do it all? Multiply that times what you feel that you need to make per hour plus expenses, fuel, labor, etc...

10. jmoriweb

jmoriweb Junior Member

ideally a bobcat/skid steer with attachments. They are great at getting into areas where a plow cannot get to and to pick up and piles and move them. And it should fit on a sidewalk if they are not too narrow. I would also get a pair of heavy duty snow blowers. Get a good brand with a light and electric start (you will be happy for that). In one of your trucks install an inverter for 1000 watts so if the snow blower does not start, just plug it in to the inverter and let it rip. I have had many instances where the snow blower would not start manually the first time out when it is cold and left out all night. The inverter does the trick.

Lastly I prefer the V Plows as they can scoop making life a lot easier.

Spend your money wisely and by good quality equipment. Things almost always break at 4am when you need it most and no one is around. Reduce those odds by paying a little extra.