1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just starting out

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by will s, Feb 8, 2003.

1. will s

will s Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty new to this so please bare with me. I Recently purchased a plow for my truck and I would like to earn a little money on the side plowing. I don't think i'm ready to start my own business yet but I am interesed in working for a sub-contractor, or another snow plow Business. Now, since I'm using my own plow and truck, what additional insurance's do I need to get, other than my regular auto insurance? Also what is the best way to get started in this? I'm 23 years old, and a hard worker, but it seems like all the local contractor's have had the same guys working for them, and I'm just the new guy in town..

Desperately seeking work,
    Hamilton, New Jersey
    1999' Ford F-150 (off-road edition)
    Sno-Way Predator MT 7'6":confused:
  2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Honestly Will, you need to just wrestle up some work around your neighborhood doing drives. You HAVE to get some experience! Most if not all contractors are going to shy away from hiring you till you get some. We personally hired a virgin this winter. He has had 5 events and I'm still leary about giving him any substantial accounts. He's mainly been doing very small EMPTY lots and a few very EASY drives. He has already hit one parked car ($950 damage), busted 1 spring in the plow, over salted one lot and darn near got us fired! You have to start some where. Go to friends and family first. Get the hang of the plow and the handling. Good luck:p
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Will, I'm going to give you some advise you will probably ignore. But I tried:

You will need to get COMMERCIAL VEHICLE and GENERAL LIABILITY insurance. Your regular auto insurance WILL NOT cover you, your truck, your plow or your customer's property. You will also be potentially liable for any damage to person or property where you plowed after you leave the area (that's what GL is for). If you want more information, go to the top of this page and click on "search", type in insurance and read away. If you go to work for someone, it'll probably be as a subcontractor and you will still need both types of insurance. You won't likely work FOR a subcontractor, you'll work AS a subcontractor. Great way to get experience, though. Then go to the bottom of the FORUM page and click on "NETWORKING" and see if there is anyone listed in your area that you could contact for some help. Otherwise, put an ad in the local paper and let people know you're interested in plowing. I'd suggest sticking with straight driveways for this year until you get experience.

Good luck.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2003
  4. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

well i dis agree with you because when i started plowing afew years back i had regular insurance on my trucks an all i had to do was then add a snow plowing umbrella they call it to the policy which kicked in like in novenber an lasted till like march it was like a 5 month umbrella an it was very inexpensive .i think it raised my premium like 20-30 bucks ..
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

baddboygeorge, do you have the same thing now?
  6. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

my regular insurance policy covers me when I'm plowing, commercial or residential. As long as plowing is not part of a business or my full time job. Which is why I have not started a snow plowing business yet. I have a full time year-round job. Also the man I sub for, his insurance covers everything while I am plowing for him, on his time. I was a little skeptical of this because my old insurance co. wanted over $1000 for addtl. plow ins. But, both mine and his insurance companys put their statements in writing, and showed in documentation what they covered, and this year I have had no trouble
  7. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I have a similar policy as george,costs like $40 extra but only covers damage done with the plow or while plowing(property,hit a homeowners vehicle,etc.)This policy has nothing to do with liability,a policy i currently do not have(scold me if you must)but after talking to several people in the snow biz and a few good friends in the ins. biz,they came to the conclusion that my biz is fairly new,the biz owns NOTHING so at this point in the game i dont have a whole lot to lose.Is it right,of course not,but it's a chance that i take for now,i do see it happening in the near future as i grow rather rapidly though.
  8. snowflake

snowflake Member

thanks guys glad for that little tidd-bbit of information. goin to talk to my so called insurance man about that umbrella plan i know i payin way to much for insurance. had to cut back the dollar value on trucks so i could afford coverage on them.

did checkin around last fall and found progressive was the cheapest
  9. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

I am literally in your backyard as most of our work is in Hamilton. My best suggestion is to learn working for someone. And best if you know what your doing as the learning curve is very expensive. Although you have a newer truck, they break down so getting having your own properites will be a huge risk if you dont have a backup.

Send me an email and maybe we can get together one day to talk about plowing. If your a good guy, whos willing to learn, I might take you out for a snow plowing education class, during a snowstorm to show you the hows and why of plowing. Your cost for this will be to have to shovel a sidewalk or two, but by the end of a night you will have learned how to plow safely, efficiently, and quickly. You'll also get paid our shovelers rate of $ 15.00 bucks an hour.

Once you know and learn how to plow, then I would consider you for plowing as a sub with your truck at a sub-contractor rate. Unfortunately, just putting a plow on ones truck does not make them a good plower. In fact, I have to go take pictures today of some of the sites, where the difference between a good plower and lousy plower are clearly obvious. I've been down the road of having guys plow for me that I've never seen plow, and I wont go there again.

I realize that you want to get in your truck and go, but consider my offer and if you interested, E-mail me at CMERLAND@aol.com. Were supposed to get more snow tonight so let me know.