1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Starting Out

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ctplower1322, Feb 5, 2011.

1. ctplower1322

ctplower1322 Junior Member
    from CT

Hey guys I've been reading on this site for a while now and I finally decided to join. Im a 17 year old kid and I have my own landscaping business mowing lawns, doing spring and fall cleanups, tree work, and I've been plowing with my atv for the past 3 years. I plow about 7 houses each storm and make some good money doing it but I want to try to expand the business a little further. The atv isn't street legal so that makes it hard to plow other driveways off of my street. I recently bought a Ford Ranger and I'm dying to put a plow on it but I'm not sure what kind and if it can even handle plowing residentially. Also it looks like I might be going off to college next year so I'm not sure if its even worth it to sink more money into the plowing business. I'd love some advice from some experienced pros on what you think my next steps should be.

Heres a picture of my setup so far!

2. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I'd figure out if you're going to school first. You need a plow, Insurance, (which at 17 won't be cheap)...etc, etc. The costs pile up quick and you need to be able to get enough work to clear those costs. It's possible, at 17 years old I started plowing, got lucky sometimes and learned things the hard way other times. But in my opinion, for a plow on that truck, I'd try a Sno-way. Nice and light.
  3. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Post # 2 X 2
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

go to school and then worry about plowing later
  5. JCResources

JCResources Junior Member

I agree with hydro. Go to school. Get those experiences and perspective that you can only get by going off to school.

I was in your exact same shoes over 15 years ago, trying to decide between staying in the lawn business or going off to college. Selling the business and going to school seemed like the best thing to do at the time. Never graduated but had a great time as well as a rewarding professional career afterwords. The industry I'm in (print publishing) is in decline and now I have to weigh my options.

Going back to the lawn and landscape business has been a hard decision but I think its best for my inclination. We are branching out into some agricultural and forestry services as well.

My point is if you don't forget the work ethic and practical knowledge you have already learned it can useful in many ways.

6. ctplower1322

ctplower1322 Junior Member
    from CT

Well it looks like I'm going to end up going to school next year as I heard back from 6 colleges yesterday and got accepted into all of them for forestry and timber harvesting. Ill continue plowing with my atv and mow lawns and landscape this summer. Hopefully Ill be able to land a summer job onto of the lawn mowing to bring in some extra cash. Thanks for all of your advice and tips I really appreciate it.