1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just starting Out On Long Island

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by porabjr, Nov 30, 2012.

1. porabjr

porabjr Member

hey guys, just getting my sole prop. business under way. I know I am certainly a little late already, but i figure better late than ever. Considering 2 trucks. An 86 GMC K25 with a 350 and auto. Guy rebuilt brake lines, has decent amount of surface rust, but frame looks good. The other is a Ford 94 F350 SRW with 5.0 liter and rebuilt auto tranny. Ford is running a western setup and the GMC is running a meyers i believe. I plan to plow residential streets for my township, so limited backing up. Any reco between these two setups or should i be looking for something else? Thanks alot for any advice for the guy just starting out.

2. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Its hard not to take the truck that is 10 years newer but a picture tells a thousand words. Where are you on the island?

3. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Agreed. And everyone here is going to tell you to take the ford since it has a western.

4. porabjr

porabjr Member

I'm in Brookhaven township. The Ford is looking like the better deal. Actually has a 350 which is much better. Was an old Huntington Town truck. Body is rough with dents and dings, but looks like minimal rust. Why is Western a better setup. How about Fisher. Are there any setups to aviod
    :redbounce

5. alldayrj

Town trucks are generally better maintained than joe shmos plowing

6. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

You mean the 5.8L 351 right?

Pretty much every brand is better than a Meyers, esp the older ones. But when it comes to these things dealer support is still more important. The two closest Meyers dealers to you are all the way over in Huntington and Farmingdale, where you have a Western dealer pretty close in Bohemia.

7. porabjr

porabjr Member

yea 5.8. plan to look at truck tom.am if not sold. As far as plow setup. Aside from making sure it is operational, what else do you need to look for to make sure it is ready for action. And as far as truck, aside from tranny and front end wear, anything else i should be on lookout for.

8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Obviously frame rust, fittings, body mounts. Basically anything in the structural integrity category lol.

So many guys treat their plow trucks like absolute $h!t and hope to find a newbie to dump it on.

When your testing the plow...give it a few good hard slams on the pavement, just to make sure that it won't fall apart from just a little abuse. Work it harder than you would want to.

9. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Take a look under the drivers seat for rust on the ford. You will want to invest in timbrens or heavier springs for the front end. What is the amount you are looking to spend for a plow truck?

10. alldayrj

I know a good 90's chevy with plow and stainless sander for 6k in bay shore

11. porabjr

porabjr Member

Looked at the Ford this am. Turns out it was crap. Driver floor rotted away and brake lines looked like they were about to rust away the next time you stepped on them. Worst of all, tranny shifted real hard. The guy claimed it was a "shift kit!!". I call it, the tranny was about to explode. Too bad, b/c the western plow setup worked real nice and was very solid. He was asking $3500. Is it even realistic to find a plowtruck on this budget? I am not expecting something good looking, all i want is good mecahnical shape.

12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Used vehicle prices are absolutely out of control these days. And the OBS trucks are nearly untouchable for a good price.

However, last week I bought a female one owner 2003 Honda Civic in near mint shape with 110K miles for $4000. 4 new tires, brakes, timing belt and w/pump just done, and 2k miles left on the last oil change. Wives friends car.

I sold my 1994 Camry with 180k miles for $1200 that morning. It was a good running car, but fugly.

13. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

At this time of year, if you want a truck with a plow already on it then your most likely gonna pay more than it's worth. If money is an issue then you are better off waiting til the spring time when different ones are looking to unload used equipment quick.

It's just the way it is.

14. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Agreed. This time of year there are a lot of guys like you that are scrambling to get a truck right before it snows so prices go back up.

It's like buying anything, prices are at their best when no one wants them. I'll keep an eye out for you too.

Is $3500 w/ plow your absolute max?

15. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Look for a dodge. For some reason they go for cheap.

16. jasonz

jasonz Senior Member

If you wanna job as a sub out in nassau and western suffolk shoot me a PM still need a couple more guys

17. porabjr

porabjr Member

hey guys, thanks so much. Believe it or not, i have been looking since the summer, but I guess I just can't find exactly what I am looking for. I could go a little higher than $3500 if I had to. I know at this point I am running out of time and if I don't find something soon I will have to wait till next year. In that case, hopefully I can sub for someone this year. I feel like i still have a few more weeks, If u guys hear of anything decent let me know. Thanks again.

18. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Any real specif criteria you have? Like....(NO DODGE!) ? LOL

19. porabjr

porabjr Member

I'm open to anything 3/4 ton or bigger. Needs to be a pickup and prefer reg. cab. Definitely no big block (can u say 4.XX/gal). Prefer gas, but would consider diesel, but I know that is unlikely in my price range. I can't believe the number of people who try to sell half ton pickups and claim they are the perfect plow truck!. I would vene consider....... A DODGE. Haha

20. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Your telling me lol.

I'm getting 11mpg with my Explorer hahah.

I just looked on craigslist for the island and didn't find anything i liked either.