1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just starting out need to know the business side

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Waltstep, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Waltstep

Waltstep Junior Member

Finding out there's a little more to know about plowing.
    Plowings easy, its the business end that really needs the
    Attention.How to charge, liability Insurance do or don't,
    Taxes, How to get the jobs, how to hustle,Salting.
    I could use any and all the Information I can get.
    I want to do it the right way.
    And still make money.
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Start surfing this site. Every topic your asking about has been discussed a million + times.
  3. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Do a search first. Once you have some specific questions about a specific topic I'm sure more people will be able to answer better.
  4. plowman350

plowman350 Senior Member

Well, I too live in Michigan, and can only give you some general advice from my area.

As far as liability ins.....a definite must. Although, you need to be aware that liability ins doesn't cover any damage done by you and your truck. That is what vehicle ins is for. The problem is that you need commercial vehicle ins and its very expensive for plowing.....especially when we only have 10 nihgts of plowing in an entire year. The liability is a must.....the commercial vehicle coverage is probably very important too, but its hard to get covered for the 6 months you may actually need it and switch back and forth.

As far as pricing, figure out what the going rate is in your area per push. I personally prefer seasonal contracts. I take my per-push price and multiply it by 10. Most poeple apprecitae the fact that they pay you once and never have to worry about it again. Also, this avoids arguing about whether or not the snow was deep enough to warrant sending them an invoice. And, you'll never show up to a job that has already been shoveled (the homeowner trying to save a buck on the easy snows).

In SE michigan there is a huge price range for driveways. I have seen as low as $180 and all the way up to $300 for the season (divide by 10 for the per-push number). But, it all depends on the amount of snow events oyu get in one year.

Hope some of this has helped.