1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Starting Out. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Four Season's, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Four Season's

Four Season's Junior Member

Hey, I have been in landscaping for several years now. I have done quite a bit of snowblowing for my winter services. This year, I have taken on a few resedential driveways. What's the best advice you guys can give me on plowing technique?

Also, when you guys plow, do you take the 4-wheel out everytime you leave a driveway and do you plow in low on the transmission?

2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

The best thing I can think of is get a good look at anything you'll be responsible for before it's covered with snow so you don't hit something and damage your equipment.

As far a 4wd goes, that's your call at the time dep. on what you use for a vehilce and the conditions. My Ram 2500 is so heavy with the blade and ballast that with my new mud & snow tires sometimes I don't even need to put in in 4wd. When in 4wd alot of guys recommend low range as being less rough on your tranny, but again, it depends on the plowing situation. Most guys who're doing big lots won't be in low range because they have to go faster to get the work done, so they are either in 2H or 4H.

When you're doing it, like everybody else, you'll find what works best for you and your truck.

3. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

Johntwist it looks like we have almost the same truck. Do you plow in over drive, drive or 2nd gear?

I too am going to be new to the plow game this year. Thanks

4. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

This again depends on your situation, but I would NEVER plow in overdrive. If you plow in 4wd High, most of the time you will be lucky to even get out of second if you are in drive. One other thing to keep in mind on some trucks if you put it in 2nd, it WILL start out in 2nd, which might not be the best thing for your transmission when pushing snow. I actually find myself using drive most of the time since I do not have to move the shift lever that much to go from Drive to Reverse.

5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

Most my work is commercial and we plow as the snow accumulates, every 3 -4 inchs. It's much easier on the equipment. If it is a big storm, I might even plow my residentials as it accumulates even though I only charge per storm. I feel the extra labor is cheaper than staining the equipment and shelling out for a repair. We rarely use low, staying with 2w hi and 4 w hi if we start to slip. Unless it's packed snow or ice, we always travel in 2wd, I feel the turns are hard on the front end in 4wd. And take it easy when going between accounts. If the roads are slick I stay at or below the speed limit for safety, if someone wants to tailgate me, I let them pass as soon as possible. Good luck this year.

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I plow in drive and pretty much go with the practices frozen and gpin are saying. I agree never plow in overdrive :nono:
    All I have to do in the Dodge is push in the O/D off button, but like they say, you really don't usually get going fast enough to get out of second anyway.
    One other thing, I have 4:10 gears so I have a lot of low end torque so the truck is sort of set up for the mission and I don't have to make too many adjustments. I just about believe the thing could push a house, though I've no plans to test that theory. :D

Good luck this season :waving:

7. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Boss Snowplow's website has a tips and techniques page that I thought was very helpful for rookies...well it was for me. They say never plow in Overdrive because it may overheat your engine. :nono:

Here's the link:
    http://www.bossplow.com/plow_tips/practices.asp

8. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Plowing in overdrive will not overheat you engine, rather it will cook you transmission, but like I said before most of the time you will not even get out of second, so overdrive really is not of any real concern...