1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just starting out have a bit of a problem....

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Glorybaron, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Glorybaron

Glorybaron Junior Member
    from Calmar

I am a newbie, I actually stumbled on your forum.
    I have ran a skid steer for 4yrs, not as snow removal completely (it was more of a skid steer in tight spots all the time) although I did remove snow with it when needed.
    A close friend has a truck, trailer and skid steer, he had posted ads and is gathering all kids of business (no contracts/promises made as of yet), problem is...
    We haven't got any idea how much work we need to carry us through the winter (we live in central Alberta) and if we have so much work that we need to get another truck, trailer and skid steer.
    We have a big contract whee we need to make a decision soon it's a 2.5 day job ( it's a parking lot and they move 4 cars at a time) but pay $110/hr.
    So that job alone would tie up the skid steer we have already.
    Any thoughts...

2. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Get a truck with a plow.

Hire more guys.

And your client will wait for two days for you to clear snow?

what happens if another storm comes in?

Your going to be living on that lot hope you have a trailer with a bed :sleeping:

3. Glorybaron

Glorybaron Junior Member
    from Calmar

Customer wants to move 4 cars at a time, clear where the cars were then move the cars back and continue, this has taken previous contractors 2.5 days @ 12hr days with 2 skids. One would clear from the moved cars the other would run the snow to the end & the cycle would continue.
    I think it would be quicker to go down the "aisles" clear the main snow then return 24-48 hrs. later to "clean up" between the vehicles.
    He wants to pay hourly, there really isn't an issue outside of tying up 1-2 skids for that period of time.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

If he is willing, and paying. That might be your only account tho

5. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

If they want to do it that way and pay for it, go for it.

Your going to make some money payup but at the end of season your going to be fried :dizzy:

6. anz27

anz27 Member

If it takes 2.5 12 hour days to do it, at $110 an hour that is $3300 per machine. If its legit, there is some good money sitting on the table for you.

7. Northernplowguy

Northernplowguy Junior Member

Out here in Alberta trucks with plows are an oddity. I bought my 9.6 XV FISHER and had to wait 30 days to get it because no one in western canada had one to sell. You need another friend with another bobcat. they are a dime a dozen out here.