1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just starting in central Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bison1973, Sep 9, 2002.

1. bison1973

bison1973 Member

Hi guys, I'm new to the site and find it infromative. Anyway, this winter I'll be plowing snow for the first time. I'll be doing some light commercial and residential accounts. The general questions I have are ones I know you've dealt with before but any help is appreciated. I would like to know more about pricing these type of accounts in my geographical area. By the job?, per hour?, per push? (could someone explain "per push a little more). Again, thanks for the help.
  2. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Someone else's turn to mention the "S" word... Hoopsfan? ;)
  3. bison1973

bison1973 Member

patience please

The "S" word? Gee, what's that? I already did a search and found no info on rates in my area or state for that matter. So just some general info pointing me in the right direction would be helpfull. Again, I'm new to the site.
  4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Read the thread "New Guy" started by Angelo. It's about 3/4 of the way down the page at this time. That'll explain a lot....

BTW, Welcome to Plowsite.

(Hopefully I'm not starting a another ruckus ...) :rolleyes:
  5. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I do things differently with my "per push" accounts than most contractors do. I establish a price and charge that rate for every 2". I have not heard of others doing things this way. Most price up to a certain depth and may have 3 or 4 different price ranges based on varous depths of snow.

One of the best things about contracting is that you can determine how YOU want to do business. As long as your terms and procedures are professional and reasonable, you will still be able to do business with people accepting "your terms."

Also, I am unfamiliar with your particular location, but you are likely in a 40"-45" annual snowfall market if you are not along the lake. That will affect your pricing. You won't be able to get as much hourly as I do because our market only gets half the snowfall of what yours does on average.

If you want to get a ballpark idea of what locals are charging to plow you can call and ask. If you tell them you are wanting to get started plowing and don't have a clue about pricing, they may give you some hints.

Another option is to pose as an assistant manager who was told to call around to get some ideas of what it will cost to get a lot of X size plowed. I have done both, to be honest. :p
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2002
  6. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

"Per push" simply means that you bill the customer for each time you completlely plow their lot. If there's a big storm you might go back several times in a day--each time you'd charge them the full "per push" amount.
  7. dbtoe

dbtoe Junior Member

This isn't much help, but I am in the same area. 6 years ago I price a drive 40' long 2 car wide, it was at the cheapest $25 every time they would have to come and push. Your best bet is call around and get some prices.Call as many as you can I found prices in my area to very alot.
  8. Johnsplowing

Johnsplowing Junior Member

Hi, I live in Superior, WI and started plowing last year . First I purchased Chuck's plowing handbook and then I started to ask some prices . I was very dissapointed to find out that people plow at around $40.00 hourly there is no money to be made hourly this year I was able to get a few monthly contracts . I also charge by the push If you can stay away from hourly rates ,I found that out my first year I purchased a V-plow and am very happy with it . this year however I plow with a bobcat and 8foot snow-bucket .
    just my 2 cents... John
  9. rtm

rtm Junior Member
    from Windsor

This is for bison. As with every board there are a few elitist. This board is no exception. Don't let them bother you.
  10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Let's see now, fellow elitists, who's turn to do the spanking?:eek:
  11. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

As people have said before, there are guys here that will forget more about the snow removal business than guys like you or I know at this stage of the game. They have written about many topics and may not want to have to retype posts that took considerable thought and time to write.

In school, teachers were not sympathetic to students that did not prepare for tests. However, if the student made the effort to study the material and the teacher knew it, the teacher may even help with a test question the student was having problems with.

Well, the guys with many years of experience are the teachers in the above scenario, and we are the students. If we don't read the "study materials" they have prepared for us, they are not going to be willing to help answer our questions.

The role of student-teacher can also reverse themselves, that is what helps the experienced guys to keep growing.
  12. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Whats an elitist???
    Can I be one??

With only 2 posts I believe you need to show a little respect to the members of this site.

Just my opinion'
    Mark K
  13. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

There's a whole new crop of 'em about this time of year, it seems. I would certainly second your opinion, though! I thought maybe the kinder, gentler approach might be appropriate. :cool:
  14. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Many of those whom you refer to as "elitists" have been exchanging information for some time, enough so that we have become cyber friends. Occassionally we poke fun at each other, if you're not in on the joke, perhaps it may seem a bit sarcastic
    (but then doesn't good humor often contain sarcasm?)

Digger's first comment was an attempt to further lighten a relationship that had become heated, I chuckled to myself when I read it. When bison questioned his response, he provided the information to explain it, judging from your response, you haven't bothered to read the thread he referenced.

I don't need to defend Digger, but the way I see it, when Digger suspected his first post might have been misunderstood, he came back and explained one of Bison's questions, with no sarcasm involved. Your response has been to label him an "elitist"

Originally quoted by rtm:
    Continue to carry this chip on your shoulder and you will find no one will bother with you.
  15. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Damnit!! As soon as I saw the word elitist I *knew* my name was going to come up. :eek:

OK, Everybody, Get back on topic!! :realmad:

So, Bison, are you expectin' some snow there in Wisconsin this winter?

16. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan Junior Member

Digger, I think I'll sit back and watch this one.:)

Holler if you need back up!:gunsfiring:
  17. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I'll say one thing, Hoopsfan--you're a quick learner... :)
  18. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Digger, materialistic, capitalist, elitist,ultra-moderate, neo-conservative, left wing fascist liberal, what other labels can we pin on you?

Perhaps the moderators should consider a suspension, you bring such trouble wherever you appear!:rolleyes:
  19. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

How about a self imposed exile to ArboristSite.com? A few years in the woods would probably help me get my head straight...
  20. bison1973

bison1973 Member

Hey digger

I sure hope we get some real snow this winter. We are due for it I think. Last winter was terrrible. I think we got some of our biggest snowfalls of the season in mid to late April. I'm just starting and I want to make some money doing this.