1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just something for you guys to read

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MDLawn, Oct 1, 2009.

1. MDLawn

MDLawn Junior Member

I don't plow but was searching craigslist for used snow plows for my own driveway. I came across this, which looks like an advertisement of some sort, and cannot tell if this is a customer or someone looking for subs. Just seeing what everyone thinks about this. Below is what I found on craigslist.

Snow plowing service multiple locations.

Must provide written proof of insurance. Despite what your insurance salesman may have told you you must have commercial vehicle insurance. Regular vehicle insurance policy will not cover you if you hit something either on the job or on the road.

Must provide proof of general liability insurance with a snowplowing rider. For when you plow the snow into the street and someone has an accident or when you accidentally clip the gas meter off and level the neighborhood. Of course you wont plow snow into, or across the street to begin with as you know it's illegal.

Must have local permits for the areas you are willing to work. Currently
    The city of Buffalo, Amherst, Williamsville N. Tonawanda, City of Tonawanda, Town of Tonawanda, Kenmore, Cheektowaga, Lancaster, Depew, Akron, Hamburg and probably others require a specific permit from the town to plow in their town.

Must be extremely reliable, breakdowns will not be tolerated and you must have a backup plan in place should you blow your transmission or break a part at 3am. Customers will not tolerate delays due to failure to maintain or properly operate equipment or bad luck.

It's appears the going rate is $10 a drievway, $40 per hr. or $250 a season.
    I am willing to pay slightly more to cover wear and tear and future replacement cost of your vehicle. As some of the properties can be pretty uneven, have large potholes and raised drain vents.
    Salting will be done on an as needed basis
    Must agree to a liability and hold harmless waiver.

I am looking for a full time professional, not some kid who's living at home mooching off mom looking for some beer money.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

It reads as if someone is looking for someone to plow for them.
    I wouldn't touch it or even drive by that place for those prices......lol

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Mark O should go for it. Beer money plowing.

And if you need to get permits that will add 500 for the season.

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Guy's a whack job. Looks like someone who wants a professional at non-professional prices... :dizzy:

5. weeman97

weeman97 Senior Member

id tell this dude to suck the chrome off my hitch

6. MDLawn

MDLawn Junior Member

I thought you guys would get a kick out of this. I don't plow but I know that this was completely absurd. A buddy of mine who has been plowing for years has people leaving because guys are plowing for $250 a season, unlimited. I mean these are double wide really long driveways. I guess the market is totally saturated with "businesses" for lawn/landscape/snow. It's tough to get $30/cut for residential lawns and at least grass can be consistently scheduled. Snow comes and goes when it wants and it seems people want you there immediately. I view my services as a convenience and just like a convenient store you pay for that convenience.

7. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

Thats funny as heck!!!

First I started laughing when I read the $10 / drive, then it got worse with the $40/hr, then I read this response and I nearly wet my pants!!

For $10 a driveway I wouldn't have the nerve to ask a 10 yr old to shovel a 2" storm. This is 2009, not 1809.

In the end if someone has all those credentials and does it for $10 /drive (no extra charge for the potholes or raised structures) then he deserves the $1000 repair bill he gets.

Funny thing is, there's probably a line of guys to do it for him... maybe he should offer $10.50 if you shovel in front of the door and pick up the mail! I'm surprised he didn't ask for the car to be cleaned off.

WOW!