1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just some things i noticed(While going to VA)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snow, Apr 29, 2000.

1. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

*Williamsburg(Virginia) uses meyer plows on 650/750 size trucks<br>*The state of Delaware uses hydraulic sanders, but they are self-contained(powered by an engine)<br>*Delaware and Maryland both used crew cab trucks w/ 10 ft bodies<br>*NJ,Maryland, and Delaware use high speed plows,(don't see them around here)<br>*New Jersey has a small fleet of plow equiped graders<p>Question-What are the main differences between a brand like western on a 650 or a viking on it(not the brand, but why someone would put a viking on, or a wester,meyer,etc on it)??<p>Well, that's about it. <p>Bryan<p>----------<br>The Snowplow Homepage<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

OK:<p>Bryan,<p>My F 650 has the cat motor and auto trans. It is a heavy truck but compared to my L 8000 it's a toy.<p>Anywas when i was specing out the truck i thought about 3 types of plows. <p>10' Meyer or Wester full blade trip. ( only thought about that for 30 secs wanted a trip edge)<p>10' Frink Blade ( thought about that for a while)<p>10' Fisher what i got.<p>Ok the Frink blade is the heavest blade out of the 3. I talked to my frink dealer about it, he told me to go with the fisher. The reason is 1. the type of plowing it dose roads, lots. 2 the weight of the plow.<p>Ok the frink plow would out last that truck. Heavy strong and a great plow, only also a lot more money than the other 2 choices. My frink dealer told me that putting a frink on a f 650 was ok but better for the 750, because each truck needs a 10' blade. The 650 would do it, but it's like plowing with a 7' blade on a ranger.<p>I went with the 10' fisher because i didn't want to buy the 750 to have the frink (anyone can drive the 650). I figured that is in 5 years the moldboard was junk. Then i would just go out a buy a new one, or a whole min-mount assembly except the frame kit. If i ever buy a 760 i will get a frink blade on it i think, see how the fisher dose.<p>For high speed plowing, and road plowing only the frink is the way to go. Only my 650 also dose lots so i needed a revesable plow. If i was just doing roads ( like the state dots and public works crews) i would use a f 750 with a wing and a one way plow, or revesable plow ( built by frink)<p>hope that helps.<p>Geoff

3. steveair

steveair Senior Member

Hello, <p>Your right with the frink. It's nice for high speed, long runs. We have the 10 footer on a International 4800. Nicest truck/plow in our fleet. Has the poly moldboard and sheds snow real nice. <p>steveair

4. steveair

steveair Senior Member

By the way, this is a great discussion. Its very interesting how every area has a totally diff't way of handling things. <p>I remember going down 95 south once through NC and seeing a overpass being consrtruted. It was interesting because they really had no &quot;construction&quot; equipment, like dozers, vibratory rollers, etc. They just had big case farm tractors and pulled big blades and rollers behind them. Guess they don't have to compact the ground like we have to up north with all the frost/heave.<p>This is why I don't think I'll ever move down south. It would be like learning everything over again that I am just starting to understand now......completely different worlds out there.<p>steveair

5. snow

snow PlowSite.com Veteran

steveair- I feel the same way. In every area of the country they have different ways of getting things done. Also, do you have any photos of the snow removal equipment at your airport(other than the walter plow truck)?<p>Thanks<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;<br>

6. steveair

steveair Senior Member

Sorry, <p>no photos yet....but I'm starting to think about setting up a web page with all our equip. Got a friend who is showing me how, so after I set up a company page I'm gonna work on it. Just got to find the time, which seems to be in short demand right now. <p>steveair<p>