1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Snowblowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Badlands, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Badlands

Badlands Junior Member
    from CT

I've had a lawn care business for several years and I do not plow. To keep myself out of trouble and do a little something during the winter I was thinking of offering snowblowing and ice melt to some of my accounts. Would this be feasible?
  2. nick4634

nick4634 Member

I don't see why not. IMO the hardest part of getting into the snow business is finding clients which it seems you already have. Make sure you have insurance and your equipment is working well. Find out your expenses add on for how much profit you want to make and tell them the price.
  3. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Your better off buying a Cheap/used plow and doing it that way. I know it cost a bit more but it will pay off later. How old are you? When i was 15 i did 13 drives with a 2 stage snowblower and a homemade sulkey.
    Worked alright but CONSTANTLY had neighbors complaining about the noise. Customers had to be done by 5Am so i could go back inside and shower before school.
  4. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

If you are doing small driveways .... a snow blower will get you by.
  5. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Iwould get a 36" blower because time is money.

First big storm last year I got more calls then I could handle. I had a customer that could no longer use their 28" blower so she sold it to me. The rest of the season operating my original 24" and 28" we never lost work due to people having to wait.

I got a private home this year that's used as therapists office with an 11x80 drive and a 50x50 paved parking area in the back. My first commercial account. They were recommended to me so they contacted me. My first response was I don't do commercial because I have no plow, I have two large blowers.

Thing is they used to plow it themselves but husband health and her age they stopped blowing it and had tried plow co's. Last year the first one stopped showing up and the second damaged their cobblestone border and never repaired it.

Thing is there's no room to push snow to, so a blower will work fine.

If I had the money I would buy a 36" WB blower or get a 44" blower for the front of my JD rider. This appears to be a nice niche. Too big for a shovel, small for a plow.
  6. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

i did this last year get an ARIENS
  7. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

That's how I got started.....With a blower. Bigger is not always better/faster. We still use them but only for big storms on walks. The guys don't like the bigger two stages. Everybody likes the single stage Toro's. You can practically run with those machines.
  8. Badlands

Badlands Junior Member
    from CT

How do you charge? By the inch or time?
  9. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Talk to the plow guys in your area. Most don't like to shovel. If you put a flyer out at every house with sticks out front and offer to clear public sidewalks and walkway/porches you will have a quite a schedule.

We get about 120" a season here, I might charge 1 ft for the season. If I get a few near each other I do the ones in between for free. My walkway route is about a 4-6 hr job. I cleared 18 times last year and grossed $50/hr and worked about 58 hrs. Of couse I have a single and a double stage, and 3 shovels.
    So about $3000 gross but this just complements my plow business. If I did walkways only could easily quadruple this working alone.
  10. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Everybody would have quite a schedule if they did the jobs in between for free. Can I ask why would you do the ones in between for free? So you will load/unload snowblower, work in cold temperatures, pay for the gas, pay for the repairs, risk your own butt on a slip and fall, make your day go longer and not charge? Why?
  11. jklawn&Plow

Well picture 3 houses in a row with a connecting public sidewalk. I am contracted to clear the two outside houses. Its easier for me to continue through the middle house than go around . I plow all 3 guy in the middle just doesn't want to pay. Seems insignificant. I am so busy that I would almost prefer people not hire me for walkways but it keeps me outta trouble. Each house is about 80 ft wide.
  12. jklawn&Plow

Also, It takes me about 5-10 minutes tops and it would be the same time if I skipped the house inbetween. If its two houses away. I'll pack/pick up the toro single stage and drive to next. If I have to get out the dual stage- with the ramps I'll do two free public walkways. Its all about time with me. If I can save time I'll do it, gas is insignificant in a blower for 2 extra minutes.
  13. peterng

peterng Senior Member

I have a plow but I'd say if I didn't I'd have a 2 stage blower for the 6 or 7 times a year that the end of driveway material left by the city. Otherwise a single stage works 100% of the time. I only do commercial now and the single stage is sufficient. We have done a lot of EOD in the past with the Toro Single stage. By times you need someone else to chop the bank down and dispell it with the single stage. That's why I don't do driveways anymore with my equipment.
  14. Luis@ NJ

Luis@ NJ Member

Make sure you have two snow blowers in case one breaks down. You don't want to have a fair a mount of work then boom your only blower is down. So make it a must to own two snow blowers. -Luis Thumbs Up
  15. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Even if you can't afford two new blowers. A back up is a must. Customers don't want to here why you can't get there or will be 4 hours later then you first said.

So pick up a cheap used one for the back up.
  16. Ducke

Ducke Member

I use a snow blower to do driveways.
    I do as you some of my summer lawn customers.
    I have 10 signed up this year all of them are seniors and are in no rush to get dug out.
    I don't do it to make me rich I do it as a extra for my regulars/seniors.
  17. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

a nice 35 hp compact tractor with a blower...and you can use it in the summer!
  18. greatdanenick

greatdanenick Junior Member

I do 30 most of them are from my lawn accounts i have quite a bit of snowblowers i usually take three with me plus shovels..some call as needed for like a bigger storm if they cant handle it themselves,eldery Etc.. the pay i must say is very quite well started doing it last winter and it's great dont need a plow as of now, have myself plus 4 helpers thay are my close friends.
  19. perrysee

perrysee Senior Member

hi, i started my business 21 years ago to just earn extra cash and now im still doing it, passing torch onto son

I also used only Snow Blowers and shovels, I run 2 28" 2 Stage Blowers, It takes me and a helper 5-7mins to do an average driveway and walkway.
    I do as well as some one said in a earlier post used ramps to load and unload the machines.