1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just sheared off my front axle shaft

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Kaptain_Kurt, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Ouch man, I knew that clunking up front was a *bad thing*. 4x4 went out shortly after a final big crunch and upon inspection I busted a u-joint and the loop on each side of the u-joint tore off the shaft. Looks like I'll need a new shaft and flange. Any advice? How tough a job is it? Can I get a shaft and flange from the boneyard and slap it in? Dang, it's snowin' like a banshee right now. 'Nother foot on the way. Made do without 4x4 but have to do some hills downward only, I can't push uphill without it.

~kurt

2. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

76 F250? only place you can find parts is a bone yard except the u-joint.
    I have a new spare axle for the pasenger side but I am in Alaska.

3. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Well....if it was drivers side, I'd drive up and get it :waving:

Guess I'll find a boneyard here. How big a job is it gonna be? I'm thinking the flange on the wheel side of the shaft must be part of the hub assembly? Or is it a bolt-on piece? Will the shaft just pull out of the front diff now that it isn't connected to the wheel via the U-joint?

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

it ben a few years but if I remember right the flange is removable but realy fits tight. BFH is required. and the shaft will pull out but you should open the pig just to inspect it.
    I may be wrong because it has been 15 years or so sence I have had to do any work on the front of my early fords.

5. Kaptain_Kurt

Kaptain_Kurt Member
    from Iowa

Sounds right

That sounds right, the flange should be bolted on. My local shop says the labor to pull the shaft will be about $100, plus parts, so I'll let them do it.

thanks!

kurt

6. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

if the ujoints have c clips and not the full circle clips i would recommend putting a tack weld on the cap to the axle shaft. my caps on the ttb 44 walk out all the time until i did that, and when they walk out the ears will bust off the axle rendering it useless too.

7. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

Are you sure?? I have not looked for one lately but a few months ago I bought a NEW axle and spider gears for a 42' Ford GPW. There has to be a supplier out there for a 76' I would think..

8. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

any place that sells axles should be able to get you a set. Have you checked out the local heavy truck parts shop, that is where i get a spare axle at. I would also check out all the different offroad shops that are online, they should also have them especially as popular the 44 is.