1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just saw frugal use of salaried employees

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NoStockBikes!!, Feb 17, 2003.

1. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I was just out driving around, and I saw a local landscape/snow removal company truck, bed filled to the brim with.... Phone Books. One guy driving very slowly, and two guys running them up to the doorsteps. I know this guy has about 7-9 salaried year round employees, so apparently he's doing that as a way to cope with the lack of snow here this year. Not sure how excited I'd be about delivering phone books, but hey. That's the kind of thinking that helps keep a guy in business when business is slow. You've got trucks, you've got people, what the hell.
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

you don't make that much money to have 2 guys throwing and one driving i did that here one year 300 big yellow pages and 75 business to business was like $50 plus $9 for gas plus you have to bag them .not worth it if you want to make money maybe there it's different
  3. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Been there, done that. In 1985. I drove, had a 14 run. No $s in it though.
  4. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Beats the heck out of paying them to watch TV, though.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Just out of curiousity, whereabouts in Minnesota are you located. I know a few contractors from the greater Minneapolis area and if it turned out to be one of them, I would have a really good laugh.