1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just salting as a sub

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vincent, Dec 10, 2008.

1. vincent

vincent Senior Member

When you're working as a sub using your own equipment, truck, spreader. What is a fair rate?

Do you want to get paid by the ton or hour?
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

3. Dhouse

Dhouse Member

By the ton.
  4. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I hope your using their salt . we are paying $100 a ton here so If he get his own salt it would be $150 a ton. correct ?
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

What do you think? Read the question he said his truck and spreader nothing about salt.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I'm not so sure about the 50 per ton thing. Are they loading you right there on site? Do you have to go and get it? I would want almost want to analyze this backwards. Start with a regular price that you would charge, subtract the price of the salt - since they are paying for it, and a little kick in for them actually having the job. Never forget that transport time is truck time.
  7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

If I were paying a sub "by the ton", I would be concerned that their motivation would be to put down as much as possible in the shortest amount of time........net result over salting.

For you guys that have this type of agreement, would this be a fair statement (or concern)?

What about the times where minimal amounts would be more prudent? Does it bother you spending the time loading, driving site to site, throwing very minor amounts then unloading and being paid for only 2-3 tons, but spent several hours doing this?

Just curious.
  8. JeffY

JeffY Junior Member

That's why you would charge minimum amounts, such as 1/4 ton min even though you may have applied a total of 250 lbs. You are recovering your costs to drive to the site and looking at it and spot applying. You would make more money going by the ton than by the hour.
  9. K&L Salting

K&L Salting Member

Salting as a sub

I pay $75.00 per hour plus $75.00 a ton. Almost all of mine require multi tons of salt. At these prices I don't have a problem with people showing up to spread salt, no matter what time or conditions. Also these are not tailgate or v-boxes in pickup trucks.
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

$50/ton works well on large accounts and we know proper rates, if a sub wants to screw you, he won't be working ffor you very long. Rates really depend on area and the amount of saltings/year.
  11. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

true , I wanted to see how it was working. if he had to go to his shop use his salt bin, loader ect , . sorry I'm not up to your" par " I just wanted all the facts . :D
  12. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Salt is bagged. I load a ton at a time at the owners shop, drive to location and spread.