1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just put the timbrens in.....

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikemac, Dec 26, 2005.

1. mikemac

mikemac Member
    from ma

just put them in on my 99 1500 silverado, i lowered the truck and they are slightly compressed with the plow off. i also noticed that it rides a lot stiffer over bumps. anyone else have this problem? is it better to crank the bars up a little and get an alignment.
    thanks.

2. raptorman03

raptorman03 Senior Member

Yea i put them on my 05 hd and they made it ride a lil rougher but thats the name of the game with stiffer parts. I did crank my torshin bars up and the ride did not change much at all. But Being a 3/4 ton im not going to notice the change as much cause the 1/2 tons ride so nice. Yes crank your bars and enjoy watching the wife bounce over bumps.purplebou

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, when they are contacting all the time, they ride rougher. Especially without the plow.

4. Up North

Up North Senior Member

According to the info included in the box with the Timbrens the front is designed to have contact at all times. If you put them in the rear there is supposed to be a 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap. After installing mine it definitely rides a little stiffer but that's the way a truck should ride IMO. I don't care for the Cadilac type ride when it comes to pickups.

Buck

5. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Next week im planning on putting some timbrens up front, when I replace the ball joints.

6. chesterlawn

chesterlawn Member

i have the same truck.mine rides stiffer to,im thinking of putting the original stops back in after the winter season.

7. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

The ball joints are going out on that truck already?

8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

It has 62k Miles. I figured it was normal, plus with the roads in Michigan, it isnt so bad. Here in Michigan, tourists should bring a spare set of ball joints, lol. But in all seriousness, I didnt think 62k miles was bad, I know people with 03 and 04 fords with only 20-30k miles and have had to replace the ball joints.

9. DMR95

DMR95 Junior Member

I haven't done mine yet and its a 95' with 98k on it. There isn't any play in the front end when its off the ground without any pressure on it. Is there any other way to tell whether or not they need to be replaced other than that? It runs smooth and straight going down the freeway.

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

When ball joints go on GM IFS, they make a real noticable clunk when going over speed bumps etc. Very similar to what a loose shock absorber would make.

Some people never grease them.

Some people over grease them.

Some people grease them and introduce dirt.

And then there are the people that do everything correctly, and still have issues.

Haven't heard many NBS GM's having major ball joint problems though.

11. 99 z71Silverado

99 z71Silverado Member
    from Chicago

you can over grease ball joints?? how do you know when they are greased enough??

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

When the rubber boot seal bulges slightly....STOP. If you over grease you can blow this rubber boot off and tear it.

13. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I actually think my truck handles better with them. :nod:

A crank or two on the t-bars wouldn't hurt.