1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Put a 10ft Boss Plow on our grader

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by kcress31, Nov 14, 2009.

1. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

We stole a 10 ft boss plow off our GMC topkick and put it on our Champion 6 wheel drive grader. We had to do a little fabricating but I thunk it should work well. Do you think it can plow some snow? Also here are a few pics of a skid stuck. Another local contractor decided to donate their machine for a couple days work. We donated them some gravel to make a trail. The volunteer operator got it stuck in less than 5 minutes. We then donated a loader to pull it out.

November 2009 040.jpg

November 2009 041.jpg

November 2009 042.jpg

November 2009 059.jpg

November 2009 060.jpg

2. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

on the plow frame on the grader what keeps that plow frame from pushing back toward the grader. i only see two pins and looks like thats your pivot point when you raise the plow but wouldn't it push back when you start plowing?

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

That grader is going to destroy that Western.

4. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Those 2 pins are the pivot and allow the plow to float on the road up and down just like on a pick up plow with a chain lift. We had a 13 ft plow on the machine when we bought it and we thought it was too big and heavy for what we needed. The 13 ft plow stuck out another 2 ft away from the front of the grader making it very hard to turn around. That grader articulates as well and it still takes 15 lanes to turn. We ended up putting the 13 ft on our IT28F

5. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

We plan on using the plow to push back windrows and clean up intersections only when needed. Usually when doing parking lots we always have a loader working with it to do some clean up. This grader will mostly be doing 15 km of streets in a small town 3 km from our shop. You can see some pictures of the town in my album. Sometimes the snow does get pretty deep here so we would need to use the front plow right off the get go.

6. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

but on a pickup the pivot angle is at the same level as the a frame so it pushes straight, your pivot angle is a foot above the the a frame so when your grader rises the mount will swing back and change the attack angle wich will cause alot of stress on that poor plow.

7. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

It should work for what you are planning, just don't expect it to go drift busting or punching through bush roads.

8. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Good point. We will see how it goes and maybe we will have to make some adjustments.

9. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

how is the plow mounted in the extension you built? if it is in a fixed position on the extension i dont see it being a problem:confused:

10. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

Grader will only rise a small amount from tire flex, the truck application would rise from the suspension, not likely a major amount of difference the attack angle will see. Just overall strength compared to a one way or dozer blade for the grader application. Be ready for some bending if abused. Again, I think it will work as you stated.

11. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

The extension is a fixed 90 degree angle and will only pivot on the two pins. The original pivot point for the plow was too low to the ground so we made the extension so it would be close to level as you see in the pics. Here is another pic not posted yet.

November 2009 043.jpg

12. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

It still becomes a triangulated piece. The higher pin mount will really only change the leverage effect. No different than having a bucket with pins at the bottom or 12" up from the base, the top mount (in this case the chain) will just see more of the stress.

13. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

i think it will work fine then:nod: good luck:drinkup:

14. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Thanks Guys. My father has been in the business for over 25 years and I have been operating equipment since I was 12. I learned a lot from him. But I believe you can always learn something, even from guys who have less experience than yourself.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It will work for what you want it to do but are you sure the grader will push it. LOL If that blade hooks anything you won't even realize you ran over it. Good luck I can see you know what your doing.

16. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

IMO since the blade is a full trip blade if you hit something, it should trip and the new angle of the plow will push up, not down. I think that it should work fine.

17. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

From the pictures it looks like the plow is going to try to push back into the front axle, and always be in a bind. My thoughts would be to extend the mount( the black part) upwards so you could pin it with the upper holes, so now you have 4 pins holding it.

Push some gravel or something and have someone else watch it to see how it will react.

18. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

Pin it with 4 pins and it is now fixed-in-place, no way to raise or lower.

19. fourspeedfish

fourspeedfish Member

over looked that. my bad.

20. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

Thanks guys.