1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just purchased a 05' chevy 2500hd =)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mr.PLOWSI, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Mr.PLOWSI

Mr.PLOWSI Member

Well I got the new 2500HD with the 6.0 LS with the employee discount pricina and an additional rebate of 3,000 for 27,600 :drinkup:. I've been hunting for this truck for 6 months and this was the best deal by far on a truck like this. I have a couple of questions about it. I've heard about the overheating problem with the plow, is there an easy fix for that? I have a 7.5 meyer, should I buy a bigger plow, like a 8.5 fisher or boss? Should I add timbrens on the front end even though its a 2500hd? I'm sure I'll have other questions It is so amazing how much more power the 6.0 v8 has compared to the 4.3 v6.
  2. CGLC

CGLC Senior Member

Get a 8 foot plow that way you won't run over the snow that falls along the side of the truck packing it down and making more work then is needed.
  3. Boss

Go gor a boss 8ft Super duty or a boss 8'2" V.....tinbrens are overrated....just twist the torsion bars up about 3 or 4 cranks for the winter.........be sure to count the cranks though!......as for the overheating problem, my best friend has a 04 2500hd with a 6.0L, boss 9'2" V and Swingwing on the back..NEVER has overheating problems
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

What front end rating do you have? 4800# I hope? Plow prep? What cab config? What kinda plowing will you be doing? Its hard to know whats the best, it depends alot on your situation

I had a reg cab diesel with a 9.5' ezv. Bigger is better ussual and V is ussual better than straight and if you are into heavy comercial a blizzard might be best.

I wouldnt run a boss V. A boss straight maybe. IMO only fisher or western for a v. Also IMO the M word is a dirty word lol

Timbrens are good stuff. But Ballast is most important! Make sure you run proper ballast behind the rear wheels.

You shouldnt have problems with it running hot. If you do thats what you have a warantee for. Take it back! There may be a different cooling fan available for ya.
  5. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

I also bought the 2005 2500HD W/ Plow Prep. Get the Timbrens! Also, You need to have your clutch fan replaced with the bigger one or it will overheat. Take my advise and have it done before you put the plow on. I was very upset to see my $30,000 truck overheating with 600 miles on it. It is covered under warranty. Dont let the dealer get out of replacing it. If you have any questions I'll help :)
  6. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

Shoulda bought a Ford 350 diesel. No alterations to it, 3 plowing / salting seasons on it, no problems. Just kidding! Congrats on the new truck, it does seem like a lot of modifications though.
  7. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Congratulations on your new truck :) I have the same truck with a Boss 8 ft. superduty. I put timbrens on it and immediately noticed the difference. Took the truck for a 1 hour highway ride with the plow on to see about overheating. It was fine. I guess you'll have to check for overheating as some owners have had problems. There's also an air deflector that you can buy. It channels the air flow to your radiator. The company is called Deflect Air and you can see their product at www.michiganoffroad.net. Good luck with your truck!
  8. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

I have the same truck and I drove 45 minutes home with my 8.6 MVP and it didn't get hot at all.
  9. gino

gino Member
    from Maine

Guys, take my word for it, it will overheat and not necessarily on the highway. Mine overheated mostly between jobs in residential neighborhoods driving 30 Mph. Please have it checked out and make sure its the upgraded clutch fan. Don't let anyone tell you it is until they look at it. Furthermore, this problem has been around since 2000 and should have been fixed a long time ago. So don't think that just because yours is new its all set. I bought mine new in February and never had a problem until I went out and actually plowed with it.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2005
  10. ChEc0

ChEc0 Member

i have a 2000 Gmc 2500 with HD suspension and i took it home with a 8ft. fisher mm and it was 98deg. outside and i had the ac crankin and it didnt over heat
  11. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I plowed with mine for a full year before I had the overheat problem, it's a pretty common problem.
  12. Mr.PLOWSI

Mr.PLOWSI Member

Well, after one day of driving the "beast" I love it! The last 2 seasons I've plowed with a 04' 1500 with the v6 and it pushed fine for those 2 seasons. I made some decisions on the plow and the front end. Since I olden't pass up this offer, buying a 4-5k plow for it this year is out of my budget. I'm going to put the 7.5 meyer :rolleyes: and just deal with it for this year then go for a BOSS 8.2 V plow. My truck came with those polished rims. I would imagine they don't hole up too well when it comes to salt.

The biggest reason I brought this new truck was about the rust buildup in my engine compartment. Being very green, the 1st season with my old truck I never washed down the engine compartment and what a mistake. How do I keep my new engine compartment clean? I know wd-40 is good. I use "salt away on my boats stuff and that works pretty well too. Right before a storm, should I spray down the engine with wd, power wash after the storm, then WD again. Does anyone one have a "system" that has worked for them over the years? Thanks,

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

the reason you guys are having over heating problems is that you must drive with the plow all the way raised up. when i go from job to job i bring the plow 2-3 inches off the ground. i have been plowing for 6 years on my own and never had this problem. and i have plowed for two other companies for three years not once had a truck over heat. :drinkup:
  14. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

How much a month is that if you don't mind me asking?
  15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I agree, maybe a little higher than 3", but it does'nt need to be all the way up.
  16. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

You should not have to drive with the plow low to the ground... These trucks that came with the snow-plow prep package were built to have a snow plow on them, and should not over heat. The problem with the GM products is that many leave with out having the proper clutch fan installed. As I understand it GM engines arrive pre-assembled and for trucks with the plow prep they have to remove the existing clutch fan and install the proper one. I guess they let it slide from time to time.... So just remember if you truck begins to over heat bring it in for the replacement clutch fan. Just so you know when I had mine replace the truck never goes above the 210 degree mark EVER... so anything above that I would bring it in to be fixed....
  17. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GUYS..............I bought most of my plow prep equipped rigs right
    off the car carrier when they came in. I never had any fan/clutch
    etc. replaced at anytime..............

Yes, I did have overheating problems from time to time running
    down the road. A simple moving the plow up or down or re-angle
    the blade plus slowing down a bit cured the problem..................

My 2 GMCs were the worst at pegging the temp guage because of
    the small grille intake.

Funny tho while pushing snow they all ran 200-210 anyhoo!....
    .....geo :drinkup: