1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just purchased 2003 F250 V10 - should I do this before plow season ?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ernest, Sep 6, 2007.

1. ernest

ernest Member

Just got this truck and as a first time plower I want to do any preventative maint.I should.
    Fluids appear to be clean ( 130k most hiway mi.) Trans.fluid ? higher alternator ? more powerful battery or add a battery ? other suggestions -- switch to syn. oil ? Your comments appreciated - thanks.

2. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

if it was service at a dealership or good independent shop you could get a record on what was done before got her or can look in manual under serivce and there are check sheets for the mileage like 30k 40k 50k ect . i'd run thur your basics check your balljoints steering all your fluids i change your trans and coolant put in a new t-stat maybe a new belt if needed .check your hoses . check your brakes and brake and fuel lines i'd put on a new fuel filter .check your rears and t-case .

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Hopefully they flushed the trans. a few times in the 130k miles, if not I wouldnt touch it. Check to see if it has a tranny cooler on it or if it already has a plow prep package, if not a bigger altenator would be a good thing. If you get a new battery get a battery with a high RESERVE CAPACITY. High cranking amps doesnt mean it will be the best battery for plowing. Check u-joints, tires, just a general tune up and a bit of good luck and you should be ok.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I can understand not flushing the coolant if it hasn't been done yet, but I would do the tranny flush regardless. Make sure they do a full flush and change filters. Don't let them BS you that the filter doesn't need to be changed.

If the coolant hasn't been flushed, have it tested to make sure it's OK, otherwise there's a good chance you'll be doing the water pump shortly after the coolant flush.

Find a good shop and have them test the batteries and alternator. If the batteries aren't 100%, change them now before you have problems. Same with alternator.

Check the plugs and wires too. If they haven't been changed ever\recently, get a full tuneup. Bad wires or plugs will show up when it gets damp and you won't be able to start it.

Brakes, ball joints, u-joints, get them checked. Don't let a dealer do anything, they'll charge more for the same stuff that went bad in the first place, i.e. non-greaseable ball joints.

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I would change all the fluids and filters so you know they have been done.
    Unless the truck comes with good records documenting these things were done,.
    Too many people " Just drive it " and don't know any better or just don't care to take care of vehicles. Just go over everything, look for leaks,wet spots, rusted lines, missing hangers etc. Get the single model repair manual for your year truck.Look up the belt wear gage / guide so you know how to read it. If your not good at wrenching, got any friends that are?. If it's not in your book the library has repair manuals somewhere for it. Some, if you request it and they don't have it, will order one, or borrow from another system. You can't take it out of the building but the pro manuals have more info in them.
    Ask questions, use the search function above on the gray line, there are all kinds of past posts to read.

6. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

go on ford-trucks.com and request an oasis on there all you need is your vin#

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Hey tailpipe, you must like my signature tagline. I have been using the slinkie sig for a long time now.