1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just Purchased - 04 GMC 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EGLC, Aug 4, 2011.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

Just purchased a 2004 GMC 2500HD with 162k on it with the 6.0L gas. It was the owner's truck and I'd give the overall condition of the truck a B-

Besides changing all the fluids, checking breaks, tires, u joints, battery is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Also will late model dodge rims fit on this truck??

2. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Good washing and polish those are some swirls lol. Check the exhaust manifold studs, looks pretty decent good luck with it.
  3. JD822

JD822 Member

Chevies are notorious for ball joints, pitman/idler arms, and tie rod ends. Definitely check those out. Also make sure the hub assbly is not making any noise (a howl while driving). if so, replace them. As for the Dodge rims, i do not believe they are interchangeable. you would have to findout the bolt pattern measurements along with the backspacing. Otherwise, nice truck.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. lilpusher

lilpusher Senior Member
    from Indiana

The dodge and chevy rims for the most part are interchangeable. But check first. I've heard there may be some modification needed to hub size. (dodge is bigger). They tierods are definitely a weak link. Dash servos for gauges can be an issues but cheap fix.
  5. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Check the condition of your transmission and brake lines for rust/rot, front bearing hub assemblies wear, tie rod ends, idler arm and pitman arm, manifolds studs break on that year and the cluster stepper motors got bad but those may have been repaired by now.