1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by phoenix827, Nov 27, 2003.

1. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

Just wondering, How many people here JUST plow? Not as a part of landscaping or construction work. Wondering if anyone does it for the winter, and does something totally different for the summer.

2. cntryboymc

cntryboymc Member

i plow in the winter,do lawn/landscape work the rest of the winter and somehow manage to work as a service tech at a ford dealer in my"off" time.

3. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Snow and Ice management only. Travel in the summer:D

4. mjandrew

mjandrew Junior Member

I only do snow and ice as well. It allows me to keep my toys.

5. apkole

apkole Member

Residential roofing contractor full time from April - November. 100% snowplowing from November-March, residential and commercial seasonal contracts only. Try real hard not to mix the two, but do some misc. roof repairs if no snow.

The businesses dovetail quite nicely, as about the time I'm real tired of the one, the other kicks in. Completely different change of pace between the two.

Andy

6. dayexco

dayexco Senior Member

excavating contractor, install water/sewer lines, dig basements, building foundations

7. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

I farm rice in the Missouri Bootheel in the summer, plow and salt south west of St. Lois in the winter. :)

8. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

I am a tree service and hardscaping contractor.Snow and ice control is a major part of buisness though.

9. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

im a plumber th eplowing gives me the extra money when things slow down wever im a bit pricey youll never see me low ball a price

10. imasnowpro

imasnowpro Member

Snow is one of three businesses I run. Would like to get it down to one of two. I like real estate investing. Good profits.

11. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

refrigeration pipe fitter year round and run my own snow plowing company in the winter. it can get pretty tuff some times.

12. ahaycoman

ahaycoman Member
    from Montana

Plow and sand during the winter. Contract statewide sod delivery the rest of the year. I own the big trucks but not the sod farm. Also own a machine to install the BIG rolls of sod, but haven't had as much time to use it as I'd like. Sold the cattle in '99 so don't put up hay any more but still broker a little and have a little retail hay selling facility for saddle horses, etc. Mostly just doing whatever it takes to make a buck (or two).

13. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

farmer here

i raise a couple thousand acres of wheat for straw and deliver the straw to dairies and mushroom farms, it usualy gets over in october so i've got from october till the first snow to get ready for snow. cant wait, had some ice last night to get the trucks limbered up. good luck

14. phoenix827

phoenix827 Member

The reason I am asking is I am wondering if it is possible to make a living clearing snow. I would rather work for myself then someone else. Just wondering if it is feasable, I know I would need something to get thru the summers, but if I can get out from under the crappy job I am in and plow fulltime, I would LOVE it!:D Thanx for the replys guys, it sounds like it MIGHT be do-able, but not for a couple years. (got a lot more learning to do!)

15. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

auto repair
    plow to pay for thetoys

john

16. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

Well, if you plow where there snow constantly for the whole winter season then you might be able to make some good money I imagine. Somewhere like a mountain area. Here in the Cascades, there are many people who have homes and/or cabins where the snow falls for the whole winter. Not only that, but major storms come in. If you're like Silver Star, Canada, you have the sik resort there, plus all the condos, apartments and homes, etc. I don't know if they hire out generally or if they themselves have people that do the snow removal. I don't know of any place in the U.S. besides mountain ranges that have snow so long that you can make a decent living. People that live in such areas, seem to have more than just a truck,they have wheel loaders with plows and buckets to haul snow away, skidsteers with all kinds of attachements and everything else under the sun.

Blake
    WA

17. imasnowpro

imasnowpro Member

Talk to our fellow SIMA members from Buffalo and Erie. No mountains there...just tons of snow.

18. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Connect the callers thru copper, cut green to make payup , play the lottery and dream of BIG $$$$ & most of all PLOW snow whenever it does it here :realmad: NO snow yet !!!!

19. lamarbur

lamarbur Senior Member

I do strictly snow plowing now. No more using my equipment, I run a JD 710 TLB and do some pretty big commercial accountd for an old contractor. I decided when I bought my 01 Cummins Diesel that this would be the first Dodge, actually first pick up that won't have a plow hung on it. Besides, I do the banks, schools, motels and such, when I am done, I don't worry about returning to salt or sand. I like it this way.

20. VThick

VThick Junior Member
    from Vermont

I am a full-time Firefighter working 24 hrs on and 72 hrs off, the extra money is good for toys but I think it would be a hard way to make a life. The Vermont snow storms are not what they use to be. Good luck