1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just picked up my 2010 F350 V10

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by carrfamily01, Sep 5, 2011.

1. carrfamily01

carrfamily01 Member

Life is good! She came w/ 8.6' western plow. She's a perfect companion to my 2005 F350 diesel! All I need now is lots of snow this season!:bluebounc

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You must be very strong.

3. carrfamily01

carrfamily01 Member

Strong, maybe. Smart, hopefully!

4. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

How do you like it? I'm thinking of getting a v10 since diesel is so expensive.

5. carrfamily01

carrfamily01 Member

So far I love it. Lots of power but gas mileage is horrible. The only issue was the low air pressure sensor which the dealer recalibrated. Again, it a great truck and I'm happy I made the investment!

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel may cost a few cents more a gallon but its goung to plow for twice as long on the same amount of fuel. It will also cost much less in repairs (cummins anyway) and last much longer. Diesel is cheaper than gas if you look at the big picture.

7. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

+1

I use my Cummins and a buddy subs for me with a 6.0 Chevy Gasser. I get probably 3 times the MPG he gets with his. Also, the engine isn't even breathing hard pushing snow. Also, right now, in my area anyway, diesel is a little CHEAPER than gas. The initial investment is higher, but the benefits while you own are great. Plus a diesel with 200k on it is just broken in, while a gasser is worn out! So, resale of said 200k mile diesel is way more than a 200k mile gasser.

kevlars

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Let's see some pics already.

Gas vs diesel issue is a wash (kind of). That's not what this thread was about, but it went that way. I wouldn't spend the money on any new diesel these days. $50k+ for something that will probably give you more headaches than it's worth. There is way too much EPA frog kissing, tree hugging equipment on these days that is making them unreliable and killing MPG. MY 2004 Ram is EPA junk free from the factory and get's 18-21 mpg average. I will never ever ever own a truck that takes DEF like the new Fords and GM's.

I too would have gone with the V10. I really don't understand why guys buy big work trucks and b!tch about fuel mileage. Get a Prius next time.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  9. snocrete

snocrete Banned

he hehe he

WOW! So you guys must get like 30+ mpg plowing? What size operations do you run? How many trucks are in your fleets? I bet with such economical strategies such as running only diesel plow trucks you must make millions!

Agreed.

10. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

"WOW! So you guys must get like 30+ mpg plowing? What size operations do you run? How many trucks are in your fleets? I bet with such economical strategies such as running only diesel plow trucks you must make millions!"

I run a one man show. And use my buddy as a sub with his truck. I get around 9 to 12 MPG while plowing and traveling to accounts. I fill up before a storm hits and usually fill after it is over. My sub fills probably twice during an event, and travels less than I do.

He figures he gets 3-4 MPG, and I get 9-12 MPG. You do the math!

kevlars

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Hee hee hee ...

12. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

congrats on the new truck and yes we are all looking for snow this year. at least enough that the customer feels they get their money's worth

13. carrfamily01

carrfamily01 Member

Thank you and heres to a snow filled season!!!

14. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

congrats! the V10s are reliable as clock work. many see 200k +. should be a great truck for you.

15. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I guess I never looked at it that way before. Powerstrokes are expensive to repair!!

16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Youre not too sharp huh? Plowing for twice as long has little to do w mpg. Im talking gallons per hour. A guy who knows snowplowing knows you dont talk mpg's when plowing.

17. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

Well, when I can plow for the whole event on way less than a tank of fuel, and my sub fills up twice, and we plow about the same number of hours, I think I am still doing quite a bit better! Plus, my truck isn't even breathing hard.

Kevlars

18. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Just my 2cents I worked for company whom bought a brand new F450 V10 and all I can say is WOW I would drive it to the city loaded and come back empy and have to fill up to finish out the rest of the day and the city is only 22.5 miles.I could run my crane truck diesel 10 times loaded there and back and still only burn maybe a 1/2 tank granted the capcity is bigger 45 gallon V10 and 75 gallon Diesel??????

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Guess not......cause I dont own a "2004.5 dodge cummbubble w/ mods", a "shovel", a "bag of salt", and "insurance". :drinkup:

20. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Heheheehe....Now thats funny.....:laughing: