1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just picked up a neighbor's route, he's retiring.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buswell Forest, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

28 or 29 private driveways, he can't remember. All are less than 3 miles from my home, only 4 live here all winter. The rest are "weekenders", and at that, infrequent weekenders. The 4 who live here, and will need to be opened fairly quick, are 5 houses up the road and I know them well.

Only real issue is, he does most @ $25 a storm, one push. If they were further away, I'd want more, but since they are very near, and I want them, I will do them @ his current price.

Old buck told me he was thinking of going up $0.50 a driveway this year!ussmileyflag

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Old buck will get board.... sub them out at 15.00 back to him.

3. Buswell Forest

from NH

He's all done with those days. Very elderly.:sleeping:

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

One push /28 homes / $25 a push.

Well how long will it take to do the run ? $700 for a few hours work, then do your other jobs ?

I'd do it for the first year, get them to know your quality of work / responsiveness, etc., then tell them you have to increase the costs just a bit due to fuel, insurance, etc. whatever..

You'll lose a couple, but if they like you, they'll pay.

Congrats....

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How long are these driveways

6. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

:waving:

Can't be very long at $25 bucks a pop. 1.5 car lengths and one car width is what I would charge that for... in my own neighborhood, that is. Maybe grandpa didn't have any insurance and was doing it cheaper for bigger drives. If that's the criteria, then I'd do it out of courtesy for the first season, then increase my pricing.

7. Buswell Forest

from NH

Have not seen them yet...I know one is my neighbor's, and his driveway is at least 200' with a small parking area at the top. Nice and straight though, nothing difficult. I know the man, he's a friend, and ex- USAF Colonel. So, he gets the same rate as before.
    The rest, we are going to do an afternoon ride around so I can take pictures, make notes, and so on. I have a feeling most are quite small, being lakefront summer homes. But the flip side is they will also be quite cramped, with trees, "cute" stone flower gardens, and septic systems cheek by jowl.
    Still, being 98% weekenders, I think this wil be a good addition. I have 3 commercial parking lots that require my devotion, along with several existing year round residences.