1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

just picked her up

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by twizted143, Nov 17, 2011.

1. twizted143

twizted143 Member
    from nh

2012 polaris 500 HO. glacier 3 plow and 2500 pound winch. will see how she does in the snow and on the trails. any suggestions? wesport

atv.jpg

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Don't go off road in too deep of snow with the plow on, good things will not follow. Got hand/thumb warmers?

3. jim331656

jim331656 Member
    from NJ

Have fun! And make some money! I usually earn at least 2 cases of beer during a decent snow storm! But really there isn't too much to it. Take your time, takes a couple times to get the hang of it.

4. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

Drop the air pressure a bit for plowing.
    Make sure you use low gear only for plowing.
    If you machine doesn't have a reverse overide lockout... get one.
    You'll be wanting the Polaris HD front springs soon. :D

5. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

read up on plowsite for if you have questions no doubt its been asked and answered before.

Nice looking Quad.

good luck have fun and stay safe.

6. JoeCool

JoeCool Senior Member
    from Canada

I just bought the twin in a 400, same colour even!! I pick up on Monday. You want to find a different way to attach the winch cable, you don't want the cable joint to run over the fairlead roller. If you have a steel cable you should always have some cable clamps handy to repair it when it eventually fails. Which is usually when you have yourself hung-up on a pile, eight blocks from home, in -20f....

7. twizted143

twizted143 Member
    from nh

atv

i certainly wont be 8 blocks from home. thats what my truck is for. atv is for fun and the wife wants to plow the driveway with it. i do however like the sounds of a heavier duty front spring.....

8. Dave T

Dave T Senior Member
    from NE PA

You will certainly be wanting the springs. The front will sag significantly from the weight of the plow, and it wears the cheap front springs out quickly.

Equally important is the override. Not sure if the new ones still have it, but if you HAVE to push in the yellow button to get AWD in reverse, you will want the Reverse Override switch from Quadovator, or make your own with a swtich and a relay. If you don't, and you happen to hit that button to put it into AWD when your backing up, and the rear wheels are spinning... the front diff will be toast... and very, very expensive toast at that.

Good luck.