1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just need to vent! :(

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TreffertLawnWrx, Nov 9, 2003.

1. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

I currently mow for a couple who is selling their house in the town I live in. They have had some trouble selling their house even though they have moved cross country. I sent them a final bill and letting them know that I would be more then happy to plow for them this winter. they replied that they had temporaraley rented the home to a family whose house burned down in town, and it was there only responsibility. I remembered reading the story in the local paper. the young family had lost almost eveything and had no renters insurance in their apartment. I decided to stop by yesterday and introduce myself. I aked If they had a snowblower, in which his rude reply was, i think so. I thought to myself well you eith er do or dont! I explained to him that I usually charge 30 for a drive his size and would be more than happy to do it for half that. mind you i didnt make it sound like a charity case or that ne needed me to do this. I just thought it would be the right thing to do. He firmly replied no I dont think so and turned around leaving me to shut the door. Man, almost makes you not want to help people these days, but I will continue to think positive! Thanks for listening. Scott
  2. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

No good deed goes unpunished
  3. Joe3113

Joe3113 Member

Some people just don't see a good thing when it is staring them in the face.
  4. john222

john222 Junior Member

Perhaps after loosing everything they owned, they are not in the best of moods or thinking properly yet. You tried to be nice.

Oh, well...
  5. cnypropertysvcs

cnypropertysvcs Member

Unfortunately those who honestly appreciate help when someone offers are few and far between- after 26 combined years in EMS and Fire service, I know- it is something that is all too common. People either feel the help is owed to them, or they are too proud to accept it. It takes a great man to admit when he needs help, and an even greater man to actually ask for the help.

Then we have those who know nothing else but to "ask/beg" for help continuously- but thats another topic.......

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if his apartment just burnt down with no insurance
    their probaly still in shock

snow removal is probaly the last thing hes thinking about

give him your card

touch base once everything settles down
    plus living in an apartment probaly never had to deal with

at least you tried to do the right thing

7. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Both you and Cardoctor are right on the money. TLC, if I were in your shoes, I would go there after the first snowfall and look at the drive / walk. If it needs to be done, knock on the door. If no one answers, do the drive. If the renter is still a jerk, leave your card and apologize for the disturbance. Maybe he will call. Either way, one less charity case or time better spent elsewhere. I have plowed a few drives "anonymously" knowing that family had some financial or otherwise difficult times. Do what you think is best and leave the judgement to the big man.
  8. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Yeah, I wouldn't sweat it. It could be they're people who don't mind clearing their own driveway, and viewed you as someone who was just trying to sell them something. Don't take it personal. I've never paid someone to clear my driveway, and to be honest, never would. It's just something I'm perfectly capable of doing myself. It wouldn't matter if it cost me 50 cents. The end result would be me paying 50 cents so I can sit on my ass, which is kind of offensive on some level. A little work is good for people. And given the description of their situation, $15/push could end up adding up to a considerable amount depending on how the snow flies in your area.

You know you were trying to do the guy a favor. But to him, you were just another person trying to sell something. Hell, he prolly had some 'lowballers' dropping pamphlets offering $15 anyways. Who knows. Either way, don't let it get to you. If you really want to be the good guy, knock the plow berm down for him some time when you're driving by and give him a wave as you drive away.
  9. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

TLC9 ----Scott

They just lost everything & your there solicting them :nod: half price or not, I would bet they couldn't give a ***** one way or the other. Their life just went down the toilet ;) so when the first snow comes give them a freebee & leave your business card stating so & that your sorry for bothering them before.
  10. TreffertLawnWrx

As you may have read in my post solicitating was the last thing I was there to do! I simply wanted to introduce myself and let them know that if they ever needed anything in the future to call. I did however explain to my family that night that If had they said they couldnt afford the $ I would be more than happy to do it for free. I know its hard for people to admit that sometimes, but at least a friendly "no thank you" could suffice. i think that if he had reponded in a more thankful way I wouldnt hesitate to stop in the future to take care of them. Thaks for all the replies, Scott:)
  11. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

Yeah, we know what you meant, we're just trying to help you see how it probably came across, and why he responded the way he did.:)
  12. TreffertLawnWrx

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Hey Dude you meant well but he may not have seen it that way. Coming from an Apartment he doesn't know you tried to help him. My Mom always said my problem was I think with my heart not my head. She loved me for being that way though! Hang in there and keep up you kindness. Even though you feel burned now you will always sleep well at night!:)
  14. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

You may see it that way but I'm sure he thought differently ;) You stated what his reaction was so I'm sure he seen it as a solicition :nod:

All I'm trying to say is I understand his reaction to you :waving: he didn't see it the same way you did.
  15. Progrounds

Progrounds Junior Member

Nice try TLC. What goes around comes around.