1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just need some good input

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by JEFF P, Jun 11, 2006.

1. JEFF P

JEFF P Junior Member

Good day to all you people
    I'm looking to buy a truck and plow.
    I have recently been given the chance to buy a 2001 Ford 250 Heavy Duty 4x4 with 180,000 km with a 7.5 foot western plow 3 years old. Just wondering the pros and cons of this truck along with any minor or major problems known. Also what is the life of a triton engine. Is this a good plow truck ? Let me no asap and then I will tell you the asking price.
    Ps Truck is in amazing shape.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

180,000KMs = 111,846 mi.

Well, I made some assumptions (including being a V10 and a Super Duty with an 8' bed) and your truck is worth approx $12,570 in excellent (or retail) condition. It's about 30,000 miles more than the average for that year. Average is 68,000 miles or 109,000 KMs. The plow on it is too small for the truck, itself and should be an 8'.

I have no doubt that the truck will plow snow.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2006
  3. JEFF P

JEFF P Junior Member

anything else

what other things ex problems to look for or past problems ect. life of the triton v-8 5.6 lt ? I own my own bussiness with my wife ( hair salon tanning ect) and figure i will plow my own lot with a bunch of people that have aske me to do there lots on the side. ( early morning ect ) Plow size of a seven and a half western should not matter to much right ? I have heard 4 wheel drive low and take your time . right or wrong . Also remember I live in Niagara canada and prices might be higher . The truck complete with plow and 1 year warranty $15,000.00.
    I still would like any and all info on past and present problems with this truck. Also what is the life expectancy. Im very easy on machinery and also do lots of repairs my self
    Thanks to you all

4. Mick

from Maine

Ok. I adjusted for the engine (actually shows 5.4 rather than 5.6lt). Came in less than before - $12,030. A 3yr old 7.5' Western, I'd allow maybe $800 if it's in good shape.

A 7.5' may be too narrow for turns and you might wind up running over your own windrows. Probably be ok for straight runs or you could put wings on it.

If you're simply looking for confirmation that you should buy this truck or "permission"; you don't need us for that. If you want to buy it - then buy it. As far as how the truck typically performs, you might try a "Ford" website.

5. JEFF P

JEFF P Junior Member

Picture and info

Mick do you have an email I can sent pict and info of truck along with a few $ "s of other trucks around ?

6. Mick

from Maine

Yes, if you click on my name, it takes you to my profile. You can send me a Private Message. If you can't send PM's, send it to a Moderator tell them I asked them to please forward it to me.

But really, you can do the same thing I am by going to the online Kelly Blue Book and put in the information on the truck. Then you can put in your own location for referance. One thing about truck values - I am very objective and unsentimental. It is what it is and it's worth what it's worth. The values I gave were for trucks in Retail condition - no blemishes, dings, scrapes etc and no need for cleaning, polishing or touchup.

7. JEFF P

JEFF P Junior Member

Kelly Blue Book

Sorry Mick Kelly Blue book does not work in Ontario.
    Can only give us p codes and us towns. I am starting to think trucks are much cheaper in your area. The only reason I say that is I just saw a fewls ford heavy duty 250 dieasels with between 250,000 km to 400,000 km not 4x4 and between 1998 ---2001 all going for between $14,000 ---- $18,000

8. Mick

from Maine

Hey, Jeff. I just realized what else may be making the difference. I'm talking USD. Are you quoting CAN $$$ ?

9. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

Jeff: Be sure to take your time when looking for a plow truck. You're looking at the right time of year when prices are usually low and the winter was mild. Don't jump at the first thing you see or you will probably regret it. If you aren't familiar with trucks, once you pick one, be sure to have it checked out by a competent mechanic before you buy it. A warranty won't immediately help you if your truck breaks down during a storm. Good luck.

10. JEFF P

JEFF P Junior Member

Advice

Just came across a 2004 ford 150 4.6 lt 4 x 4 cab and a half with 70,000 km . Just wondering how well or how bad thes trucks are for plowing . What if any modifications have to be done > Please be very honest . Would a 7 .5 plow work ?

11. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

id rather a 250 with more miles than a 150
    i have an 8ft blade on my ram .sometimes i wish i had a 7.5 blade
    doing bank drive thru get alittle tight. if you need to go wider
    install a set of plow wings
    john

12. JEFF P

JEFF P Junior Member

Dodge for plow trucks ?

Well John I have a good question for you . Out here in Niagara Ontario maybe 1 out of 20 trucks are plow trucks . I have heard the reason is the tranny's are built to weak for longs periods of plowing . Dodge trucks out here are much cheaper than ford or chevy also . Whats a good dodge to plow with ? Also I have a plow set up from a 1991 dodge ram would that be compatable with a new dodge or is it just a wate of time ?