1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just my thoughts (related to potential michigan back up beeper law)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plowtoy, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Now I know many may think that being in Florida on vacation during my first storm of the season is CRAZY, but I have that covered, so hear me out.
    I'm sure most of you have heard or read the story of someone being hit and killed by a plow truck (commercial) plowing a retirement/nursing home on the east side of Michigan a year or so ago prompting a local representative to try and pass a back up beeper law on privately owned commercial plow trucks. As of two weeks ago the law has not passed according to MSP.
    HERE ARE MY THOUGHTS. The argument was that if the trucks had back up beepers that this could have been avoided. What i learned while shopping at a outlet mall in Florida earlier this week is that if you are not paying attention you could be hit by a Hy-bread car. As i was crossing the road, not paying much attention to the appeared to be stopped Preus at a speed bump 75 ft away, before i knew it it was less than 5ft away. The car snuck up on me and if myself or them weren't paying attention, I very well could have been run over. I think If the law is passed for plow trucks to have back up beepers on them than electric cars and Hy-breads should have an engine running sound produced so i can hear them coming.
    I'm not trying to be a smart-___ about this, Again its just my thoughts

2. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Good point. Did the person in Michigan not hear the truck or did the driver of the truck not see the person. I would think more cases of people not being seen by drivers backing up. So what about backup camera laws?

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Its my understanding that it was a resident of the retirement home and the weather conditons were poor. As far is who was at fault, I believe the plow truck driver was cited, but im not 100% sure of that. I have read the article some time ago. I think he had a strobe type light on but didnt see the person and they did not hear the truck

4. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

I guess you could make the argument that any vehicle should be required to have beepers.
    I would think that the requirement of beepers on pickup trucks would be due to the speeds that the vehicles are backing up combined with the conditions during the hours of operation. Hybrids don't usually drive 10 to 20 mph backwards through a snowy parking lot.
    I, for one, don't like the idea of truck beepers. I think they would be an irritation, especially for residential customers. I do however see some value of safety that they would have.

5. smoothbore2004

smoothbore2004 Member
    from Indiana

I have been plowing gas stations for the last 10 years and my first year I came to the conclusion that I was gonna install a backup alarm due to the fact that everyone wants to pull in behind me or better yet walk behind me with no regard to what I am trying to do. I have bought the 96db alarm and its ok so this year i bought a 117db and its WAY TO LOUD. Kinda like annoying loud. Still have not had to push as of yet so interested in seeing how this thing is gonna work out. I am expecting alot of dirty looks and foul names but hey if it gets people to get the hell out of the way then so be it.

6. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

A requirement of one of my contracts was that back up beepers were required (schools).

After having them on a few trucks, they have now been installed on everything we run. It is a little additional safety feature that you easily get used to and if it prevents one accident - than they have paid for themselves thousands of times over.

But, we have also had bylaw called out on us at 4 am... Pulled up beside a truck, asked they to put it in reverse - said thanks and drove away!!!!!

7. nac lawncare

nac lawncare Junior Member
    from ohio

where did your get you beeper at? and does it have an on and off switch if you dont want ti to sound off?

8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Back-up alarms don't mean someone won't walk-behind you...

Myself, I'd rather not have any beeper, just my preference...!

9. 518Landscapes

518Landscapes Member

This is true, but if something was to happen, and you had a beeper and warning lights going you covered all your bases. and will certainly help encase of a incident that goes to court. unless you were driving like an idiot then you are negligent.

I thought they were annoying at first but after a while you don't even notice, and its just a little extra ins. safety for all employees and customers of the place you are plowing. BTW ECCO make self adjusting ones that adjust to the noise level of the surrounding area so if i dosent need to be loud it wont be. Anyone that wants a beeper with a on off switch is just crazy!!! i understand the residential and commercial argument. but then i gives your employees the option and which way do you think they will pick??? probably off.
    Safety first

every one has an opinion

10. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

No question back up alarms saves lives on job sites.

Back up alarms on plow vehicle that work everywhere will generate more complaints than the good it will do. I'm thinking existing noise ordinances will prevent this from actually going through at all.

11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Last winter a shoveler got run over by a backing up pay loader that had a peeper.

If the driver gets used to them so do the people around them.

12. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Having plowed with dump trucks for the past 10 years, we've had beepers. As a driver you block the sound out, could be the radio blasting too though. They also don't help much as far a people caring that you are wanting to back up. Everytime I hit reverse 4 bright lights and the stock reverse lights, plus a 117 db beeper, they don't care.

13. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Over all I think all "work related trucks and equiptment " should have a functioning back up beeper. Why not.... If you get sick of the noise turn the radio up. Noise complaints are better than hitting someone. You can buy beepers that are not as loud. I see almost no negatives here. Yes morons will still walk behind you, but if it stops one accident it was worth it. And even if you do hit someone, with the beeper at least you a defense

14. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

The negative side of this is for plowing residentials, no one wants to hear BEEP BEEP BEEP outside their window at 4 AM

15. unimogr

unimogr Senior Member

Given a choice I'd go for a back up camera. Just as easy to install as a switched backup alarm (or easier than on a Chevy with the ignition off delayed lights). This way YOU are in control vs. some oblivious Kmart shopper that doesn't know what the BU alarm is for.

You can find them for $200. to $250., they're $235. at Dejana.

16. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I'm all for the beepers. You'll provablynever realize the accident it prevents, but that makes it worth it to me.

You guys are crying about the beepers, but buy diesel trucks.

17. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

I just wanna know if the guy who got run over dropped his phone, because chances are that's what his attention was focused on.

18. 518Landscapes

518Landscapes Member

A back up camera is great for you to see your blind spot out back which will help out big time. but you are the one safe in the truck. Now you see them walking behind you, but have no warning sound to alert them and have to stop and wait. As with the beeper they might think "o maybe I shouldn't walk behind that great big plow truck.!!!" and simply change there course. The beeper is for the people walking in the way of possible danger, some people are dumb and will walk with out a care. others get wtf is going on and will move!!!! say what you want but they wouldn't make them if they weren't affective. they probably even did a study on it some where.

When no one is around i really put the hammer down and get the job done, but if people are going in and out, then its simple slow it down and pay attention..

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  19. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

All the beepers and cameras in the world can't fix stupid. You might think I mean "pedestrians who don't look", which would be somewhat accurate. But I'm also referring to those of us who have taken "exterior lighting relocation" entirely too seriously. It's one of those lessons you should only have to learn once.

20. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Not true. Beeper or no beeper, you hit a pedestrian your probably going to get a ticket.