1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Just my lluck... western plow

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by bigjeeping, Oct 27, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

So my 7.5 Western Pro, which was working fine when I put it into storage is now really messed up.
    Just put it on today.........

(1) it wont angle to either side and just pulls a lot of current when I try to<br>
    (2)it really struggles raising all the way and it's hesitant to even make it half way<br>
    (3)my plow headlights dont want to stay on (they were on, but shut off randomly)

Ill probably be having a professional take care of these problems but does anyone know what could possibly be wrong!?!?!?! it worked fine last time it was on the truck!!!!!

=( =( =( = ( =*(
  2. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

1st thing I would try is cleaning the plow side ground connector, hook a jumper cable to the battery neg and the other end to the plow motor on a clean connection and see what you get. if it operates good then your ground is bad and needs cleaning, is the fluid clean and is it western fluid? if it had water contamination then you may have a rust problem inside the valves and pump, sound more to me like you have a power distribution problem. what year/model plow is this? does it have a isolation module?
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2005
  3. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

*running out the door with my jumper cables*
  4. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

no change with the jumper cable thing....

so now the plow headlights turn on once the plow is raised and turn off when it's lowered............... ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
  5. stumper1620

what year plow is this?
  6. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

honestly, not sure... it cant be that old, it's in great cosmetic shape
  7. stumper1620

does it have 2 or 3 plugs?
  8. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

2 plugs.... one plug has the power and ground which goes to the pump and the other plug has a bunch of connectors in it.. obviously for controls, lights etc?
  9. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

did you pull the motor and check the screen on the pump?
  10. stumper1620

check all the pins in the control plug, be sure they are clean and not deteriorated on both plow side and mainly truck side, when you do that count how many pins it has, so i can go pull a copy of the wiring diagram.
    let me know what you find.
    should be a 7,8,9 11 or 12 pin connector
  11. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

No idea how to do that... thats why I had "professionals" in mind

It's a 9 Pin The connectors looked pretty clean.. but any recommendation how to clean out those small holes?
  12. stumper1620

very small file or a ice pick, then spray it out with brake cleaner or electrical terminal cleaner, terminal cleaner is best, then be sure to pack it full of dieletric grease.
  13. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

You should apply some electrical grease to the connectors to make sure they stay clean and also so that they don't freeze. Had the same problem last year with a Western MVP. It's not a hydraulic problem so cancel that out. Dirty hydraulic oil doens;t trun your lights off. Also make sure all your solenoids are in tact. Sounds like you're really gonna have a rough first year plowin if you don't know how to fix your stuff. Good luck man. Let us know more about the results.
  14. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Im done with pin type connectors.

Screw them.

Therein lies most of your problems. You wont be able to get rid of all of them obviously, but this apparent need to remove your plow setup in a few seconds as opposed to ten minutes has made the use of these multi pin connectors necessary.

Go talk to Ray at Mill Creek.
  15. stumper1620

I hear ya, more stupid little failures last year because of them, just a quirky problem here and there, that and those cheap little pinch on wire splicers they use to install the harness, I lost my left front parking light on the truck last year, started checking it out and found the wire cut in half by the splice connector. for something that is in the elements you would think they could come up with better weather proof connectors than those cheap azz little blue things.
  16. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Oh I know those things are so lame. Also....proper crimping of connectors is really important and a set of a good wire cutter/stripper and a good pair of half moon/v crimpers is very worth while. I always use fully insulated connectors and grease all wires and connections as well.

Im telling you Ive learned a lot about plows in general and my plow specifically lately and am convinced most of the problems with reliability and whatnot are electric/connection issues.

Least mine have been. Like I said I no longer have a 12 pin connector or whatever it was. I do have to disconnect seven connections if I take the plow frame off which is twice or three times a year. So I cant do it in 10 seconds. So what. I dont need too.
  17. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

No luck with the terminal cleaner or grease....

IMO mill creek is a joke... I'm not sure who I talked to there but I went in twice and both times this guy was a tool. They're supposed to be a seadoo dealer but couldn't even fix my seadoo for me!

Anyway.. just called Mobile Hitch on main street in Whitmore Lake.. They sound concrete with their Western service and have been doing this for 11 years. Ill be dropping it off there on mon =(
  18. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

You really should try and fix it yourself.... Having to take it to a dealer/mechaninc can get costly. You have to rember that during a storm you may not ba able to run over to a repair shop and get it fixed. And being able to solve simple problem yourself can save you not only money, but time.

You stated it worked when it whent into storage... so lets troubleshoot the plow.

When you try and angle it you said it does not move, but draws a lot of current. I assume the current draw is from the electric motor running... Am I correct.

If the motor runs, and it does not move the problem could be the 9 pin connector not making goot connection, which also can explain why your headlamp do not work all the time. The slow lift could be a clogged filter, or possibly the selenoid valves not working properly...
  19. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Well I have the owner's manual, which goes through trouble shooting but I have no idea how to do the stuff they recommend....

Well I cleaned the connectors pretty well, so i am assuming that everything is connected fine...

The motor makes some noise and pulls current (all lights in truck go dim) when you try to angle it..... there is nothing blocking it from being able to angle.

It lifts about half way fine, then it starts to struggle and make noise, but it will make it to the top... thats when the plow headlights turn on

When i drop the plow it free falls down, and the plow headlights turn off.....

Any help would be appreciated... maybe Ill try to tackle this on my own but It'll take some love from you guys!
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  20. stumper1620

the head light part sounds really wierd, but the lift, drop and angling almost sounds like air in the lines & pump,How is the fluid and fluid level?